New Filstar XP L (up to 175 gal) Filter

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
So I've had a 100 gal tank with only a Emperor 400 filter on it for a while, so wanted to get another filter. My girlfriend just surprised me with a Filstar XP L (up to 175 gal). Any thoughts or suggestions? I have not set it up yet.
Also, does it matter how I place the outtake in the tank? For example, instead of being hung over the edge of the tank I may have to lay it sideways because of my tank structure, will this effect the outflow? Thanks guys!

tehmole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2012
antartica
It's a great filter for a budget ... fill it up with ceramic rings. i think it'll be find once you prime it ... how i prime would fill the canister with water first (primed or from your tank), turn the unit on ... open a latch to let the air out ...BAM you're primed...

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks for the response tehmole! I noticed that the filter only came with 5 star biostars (the things that the bacteria grow on). It doesn't seem like enough. Should I get more or is it fine?

thacarter546

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Midwest
I run three of these. Stuff em with matrix. I have one filled with denitrate because it was on sale. With a little bit of biomax from my old AC110 and some ceramic rings. One filled with Rena biostars got em for 2 dollars per 20 pack on clearance. The other stuffed with matrix.

You can also get odyssea ceramic biorings for next to nothing off ebay or aquatraders.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Not sure what Matrix is exactly? Could you recommend a specific item/product to fill the Biological filter? Sorry this is my first time with a Canister filter and I appreciate the advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store