Should i get a powerhead?

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
So this is the current set up of my tank. I have a 90g 48"/18"/24"(standard). My stock is a 13" tiger oscar, a 12" hoplias malabaricus, an albino chlarius bathracus of about 7", and a polyterus endlicheri endlicheri CB whos about 9"ish. The filtration i have is an AC70, AC 110, and a sponge filter thats supposed to be good for 100g tanks. Also my substrate is a small/medium ish white gravel.

Iv read online that larger aquariums should have power heads or really strong canister filters for the water flow. I know my isnt "huge" but i think it falls into the big category. Iv been contemplating getting a AC 50 power head with the quick filter attachment and swap it in for the sponge. Im not really sure if i need it or not its just something i read. To be honest iv been keeping fish for only a year and its in the past 6 months that iv been solidly taking it more seriously and doing proper research in care (i had lost my snakehead and they had just banned them in Quebec, so my ignorance and mistake cost me my favorite fish that i can never get back...legally).

So once again I am here asking you guys for your advice/help (which has always been great :)), and trying to learn more.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MattyA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
Australia
Keep the sponge filter and put in another large internal filter. Don't bother putting in a powerhead, just get an internal and reap the benefits of extra mechanical filtration. They cost about the same.

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Get a powerhead, I started adding them into all my tanks and I never saw a negative aspect to it. You can also get filter attachment which goes on the bottom.

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Thanks guys! I was also considering swaping the AC70 for a 110. Would that be just as good?

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Thanks guys! I was also considering swaping the AC70 for a 110. Would that be just as good?

It would create the same type of movement as a powerhead. On amazon you can get sun sun circulation fans pretty cheap. I got two which moved 1300 gallons per hour for under $30 for both. You can get a 750 gph one cheaper.

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
So i got a Fluval Sea c4. The guy gave me a deal, $40 for a new one.

Is this a good one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store