When and how do you clean a sump?

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
I've had a sump for close to a year now for my 180. Never officially cleaned it. By cleaning I mean siphoningout the detritus in the bottom of it.

I won't be cleaning the BB out, but how often should I clean the detritus, etc?

Sent from my SGH-T839 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
Noone cleans their sump? I guess that's why there is no answers. :D

Regardless I will be cleaning it now. I was cleaning the overflow box and messed with the bulkhead. Now it keeps leaking. Took it off and the gasket is sticky. Not sure why....perhaps it is just falling apart. It also has dents in it now and won't keep a seal, just slowly leaks. Ill have to buy a new gasket.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
When I clean my tank, it gets sucked dry. When it refills, the gunk gets stirred up and gets pumped back into the tank. It then either goes back in the filter to be captured by the socks or settles out for the vacuum next week.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Just cleaned mine today...I took a 5gal bucket put some tank water in it threw my media bags in there and took the vac off of my python waterchanger and used the hose only to suck up all of the gunk...I will be switching to 100micron socks on this tank and hopefully I won't have as much gunk.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
The way my sump is set up the water comes in via beananimal overflow system into 2 sock filters 100 and 200 micron. It gets 98% of it. They get changed 2 times a week. The chamber they are in the sump houses the heaters but is also a settling chamber for any other particles. Every week during water changes this section gets drained and siphoned out. No other particles make it past this section.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store