Silver Arowana and SA/CA Cichlids

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Hey all, just curious what your experience is keeping CA/SA cichlids with Silver Aros? The cichlids in question would be a couple Midas, couple Convicts, couple Jack Dempseys. None of them currently full grown, the largest being a 5" Midas. The tank in question is 72"x30"x24". The Aro's I'm considering would be substantially larger than the cichlids, in the 16"+ range.

An upgrade IS in the cards for the Aro btw, so that's not an issue. Just curious about the immediate future, would this stock list work? I can't decide if the smaller cichlids would be on the menu for the Arowana, or if this is exactly the sort of size difference you'd want for this mix. Thanks.

EDIT: errrr, I have no idea why I posted this under Gars/Bowfins.. A little help please mods?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Recommended that when mixing silver aro with SA/CA cichlids that the arowana be at least 10-11" long and 2x the length of the cichlid. So likely not an issue for the arowana's well being. At 16" an aro could eat or at least kill a 5" cichlid while trying to eat it. Whether or not it would try, IME not likely. Though it will depend on the individual fish. Also there is no guarentee that the smaller cichlids still wouldn't bother the larger aro. I had to get rid of my 12" argentea because it was terrorizing my four 30" arowana.

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
So it's hit or miss basically then hey? Anyone else with experience on a mix like this?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
I don't have a silver, but have kept many sa/ca cichlids with my Jardini and silvers are much more mild. As said above as long as the silver is big enough and the cichlids aren't crazy aggressive I don't see why it would be an issue

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I wouldn't say hit or miss, said it would likely work. Just no guarentee.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store