My thinbar datnoid swim on mid-top.. !

Boq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2013
Malaysia
Hello,
Yesterday i did some research before i bought the Thinbar datnoid.. and that evening i bought the Thin bar datnoid which is healthy and stable. Now the issue is why my Thin bar datnoid are always swim on mid-top only ? and does not know how to hide.. in my aquarium there's a Indo Tiger that always try to move away thin bar datnoid.. the indo tiger is smaller a bit than Thin bar datnoid.. any idea anyone ? i'm thinking that the IT are being territorial.. and i'm going to buy more hiding place.. any idea why would this happened ?
and this morning i just saw my thin bar datnoid kinda like try to scratch his body over the rock.. i didn't found any white spot/ich.. any idea ?
Here some pictures of it.
Photo0438.jpgPhoto0440.jpgPhoto0441.jpgPhoto0442.jpgPhoto0443.jpgPhoto0444.jpgPhoto0445.jpgPhoto0446.jpgPhoto0447.jpgPhoto0448.jpg
if you can see the gap between the rock.. that is actually the IT hidespot.. and i'm planning to get more hiding place.
I really appreciate your reply !

Photo0438.jpg

Photo0440.jpg

Photo0441.jpg

Photo0442.jpg

Photo0443.jpg

Photo0444.jpg

Photo0445.jpg

Photo0446.jpg

Photo0447.jpg

Photo0448.jpg

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
IT defends his territory and newcomer is intruder :) there is not good option to have just 2 dats..better is 3 or more (even then they say its best to keep different species of dats)..

Btw..how big is the tank? Dats are quite active and demand big personal space..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Boq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2013
Malaysia
This tank is 20g.. before i put them in 120g tank.. i move them into 20g because they always get bullied by other fish that i own in 120g tank.. since you said 3 or more.. then i'm getting NGT and AT.. haha.. almost all kind of datnoids.. i'm planning to move them into 120g back when they're around 4-5inches..
I really appreciate your reply :)

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
In the pics it doesn't look stressed out and if it's swimming around ok why does it matter if it doesn't hide? Shoot you should be thankful its out and about because thin bars are pretty shy compared to other dats in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah it knows how to hide but it chooses not to...The scraping on the rocks sounds like your thinbar may have some parasites that might be annoying it.

Boq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2013
Malaysia
In the pics it doesn't look stressed out and if it's swimming around ok why does it matter if it doesn't hide? Shoot you should be thankful its out and about because thin bars are pretty shy compared to other dats in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The problem is, my thin bar datnoid are not swimming around but just swim on that rock area ONLY.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Tigers do flick there bodies.. especially ones thay eat alot of prawn and muscle.. so wouldn't worry too much about that..
Just feed it well but keep up on water changes..
What other fish are in the tank?

SFury

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Wisconsin
Dats are funny that way. Sometimes they will stay in one small area until they just feel comfortable in their new place.

How long have you had the dat? If it's been only a week or so, and the it eats well, I would not worry about it.

If it's been longer the question is to why. If the thin bar has been there longer than a week then I would suspect that the first dat is keeping it there. Which is why two dats together is never a good idea. Having 3+ dats really changes the dynamics in a massive way. It makes them much more peaceful fish towards one another.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I would say 5 or more changes the dynamics. I've had the same issues with 3 dats as I've had with 2 as far as aggression problems. It might be slightly better but usually doesn't change the dynamics too much...but I think your dats look gd from the pics and I wouldn't change a thing right now until dats stop eating like normal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store