Frehswater refugium?

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I am pretty sure java moss needs light, which it won't get in a canister filter. You can buy a breeders box and put it in there. Maybe even put some in a hang on back filter. Just put a screen preventing it from falling over.

Good idea if someone has puffers and can get a breeding population of snails going in the refugium.

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'd obviously provide light but you're right: a HOB is probably a better idea. Do you think that the moss along with the pothos would make a dent in the nitrates? Preferably a big dent as I can't get to do water changes on this tank as often as I'd like.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
I am not sure but it is worth a try. You can also try feeding less or changing your feeding routine. For example if you use floating you could switch to sinking. I am not sure what you have in your tank or the size but if I had to guess it is overstocked. This will be your biggest problem.

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
I am not sure but it is worth a try. You can also try feeding less or changing your feeding routine. For example if you use floating you could switch to sinking. I am not sure what you have in your tank or the size but if I had to guess it is overstocked. This will be your biggest problem.
There's 7 adult angels in a 75. It's a high stocking level but not something i would call overstocked. People have differing opinions on the limits of stocking though.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
You probably could still do water changes as often as liked, but plants need nutrients.:)

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Just FYI many plants don't incorporate as much nitrate into their mass as you may think (so choose wisely). I recently attended a presentation for an unpublished study in marine aquaculture that found (through mass balance) that the plants they were using only removed a fraction of a percent of the nitrates from the system. However, they got a lot of nitrate reduction from the denitrifying bacteria that had taken up residence in the root structure (rhizosphere) of the plants. These bacteria colonize surface area in environments with an absence of oxygen to eliminate nitrate. The roots were in submerged planters with some sort of substrate. Keep in mind you will also need a bioavailable carbon source to feed the bacteria, but supplementation is not always necessary.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Pothos are the way to go, check out the thread in the DIY Filters forum.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Pothos will help. They will need a little light (ambient or a 60 watt bulb) and they can't be 'smothered' under water as they are terrestrial or buried in a chamber.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store