Air bubble in the eye!

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I picked up an 8"plus NGT in a fish trade and didn't acclimatize him until the people left with the fish they bought from me. When I put the NGT in the tank I noticed it has a small air pocket inside the eye. You can still see the pupil and the eye is not swelled like popeye. Could this be from bad tank conditions from the previous owner. What kind of remedy are we looking at? For now I am just going to add salt to the tank as I have adult rays in the tank and can only treat with medication safe for rays.

characinator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2013
FL
This happened to me before on a fish I received from shipping... Looked like air bubble was trapped in the eyeball, and I felt like I wanted to squeeze it out... (but didn't obviously)...

Anyway, I treated the tank with prazi... waited a few days and also hit him with Maracyn... after a week or so it was gone and eye was normal.

Can't say if the treatments helped or not, as it was a shot in the dark for me - but it did go away, which means your NGT can be cured.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
I picked up an 8"plus NGT in a fish trade and didn't acclimatize him until the people left with the fish they bought from me. When I put the NGT in the tank I noticed it has a small air pocket inside the eye. You can still see the pupil and the eye is not swelled like popeye. Could this be from bad tank conditions from the previous owner. What kind of remedy are we looking at? For now I am just going to add salt to the tank as I have adult rays in the tank and can only treat with medication safe for rays.
Interesting. ... do you have a picture?
Is the bubble clear see-through? Or os it solid white?
How big... 1-2 mm?
Is it touching tue pupil or just betwren the inner and outer lens?

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
The bubble isn't white but it's not clear either. The bubble is in a layer of the eye before the pupil and is off center. Just below the surface of the first layer of the eyeball. You can see the pupil plain as day in the background but I believe this spot would impede it's vision. Here is a picture and the other eye has a real small bubble but I concentrated on this one as it's easier to see. I am thinking bad water quality as this guy had recently lost a leo stingray after being out of town for a week. He believed it died from not eating and I told him that wouldn't have been the case. Sorry I couldn't get clearer pictures.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have nothing to offer here except a compliment for the nice looking NGT.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
He doesn't look like he's been well taken care of. Like u said water quality most likely caused that kind of eye issue. He looks thin, prob hasn't eatin too much lately with an eye issue. Is he responsive to your movements or is he in his own world? I would def keep an eye his responsiveness to you and isolate him (if you can) within a few days if no improvement with a light dosage of antifungal med, light salt with high oxygen & low lights. I would give the previous owner a call as well & find out how long he's been like this

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
He doesn't look like he's been well taken care of. Like u said water quality most likely caused that kind of eye issue. He looks thin, prob hasn't eatin too much lately with an eye issue. Is he responsive to your movements or is he in his own world? I would def keep an eye his responsiveness to you and isolate him (if you can) within a few days if no improvement with a light dosage of antifungal med, light salt with high oxygen & low lights. I would give the previous owner a call as well & find out how long he's been like this
I have already been there and back with this guy via email. He said it wasn't like this in his tank and of course I disagreed! I have proof on here via another thread that the water was in bad state. I sold this guy a marble motoro a while back and when Calgaryflames was looking for marbles I pointed him in the direction of my old one. I feel bad now as the ray he rescued didn't last long in his tank and died. It was probably the shock from dirty slew water to clean water that killed the ray. LOL

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...else-do-this&p=5849105&viewfull=1#post5849105

So now I have narrowed it down to probably just bad water! Hopefully it will heal.

chelo

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2011
In my Datsun
bump up the temperature and add some salt, do wc twise a week.. that happen to me before w/t one of my pbass and thats what i did. and now my pbass is back in shape!!

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Saw the link..looks like this guy should have paid you all to take these fish off his hands..It's unfortunate how little care sometimes is provided to such precious creatures..gd luck with him, he's got great potential if those eyes clear

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Could it be a cataract?

Probably caused by poor water in last tank
I dont think the owner was very honest. .

similarly I recieved a malnutritioned fish recently. It died with on the same day I got it. I learnt my lesson never to buy a fish unless I viewed it in person. (Mind you this was the first time I not viewed fish in person before buying it)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store