How To Use Water Conditioner

Dr_Shakalu

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
San Francisco
Hey everyone. Every time I do water changes on my tanks I always wondered what the best way to use water conditioner to remove chlorine and chloramines. When I do my water changes, I put the correct amount of conditioner for the new water to be added. I add the conditioner to the bucket and fill it up with water to the correct amount I'm replacing but would this use up all of the conditioner before the bucket is full? What is the best way to add the conditioner? I add conditioner and then fill the bucket with water and use my hands to move the water around when the water is coming out of the faucet. Is this the best way? I've always done this and never had any problems. The questions I have regarding the conditioner is that: 1. will the conditioner be used up by adding freshwater after the conditioner is added to the bucket first? 2. Is it better to fill the bucket and add the conditioner and swirl the water around, or can I add the correct amount of conditioner into the tank after taking out the dirty water and then add freshwater without the conditioner because I've already added the conditioner to the tank. I think #2 would be the best answer but I don't know. Thanks, Ed.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Best way to do it is as-per the instructions on the bottle. ;)

X amount of conditioner will neutralise Y amount of chlorine/chloramine, regardless of when it is added to the bucket.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
The normal method is to add the conditioner to the tank (or sump) before adding the tap water. The amount is given in the instructions.

packer43064

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Ohio
It's this easy.

Get some Prime and dose for the whole tank volume.

If you have a 180 gallon fish tank put 4 cap fulls (each cap full doses 50 gallons) into the tank BEFORE refilling. Done. Fill up and open a brusky. None of this fuss and muss about filling buckets and crap.

Per the directions this is what you can do. Noone has problems.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
It's this easy.

Get some Prime and dose for the whole tank volume.

If you have a 180 gallon fish tank put 4 cap fulls (each cap full doses 50 gallons) into the tank BEFORE refilling. Done. Fill up and open a brusky. None of this fuss and muss about filling buckets and crap.

Per the directions this is what you can do. Noone has problems.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
This is how I do it as well, never had an issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store