WHOS GOT THE LARGEST GAR HERE?

pagojoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Conroe, TX
I think my feeding clip might have reduced the number of responses that this thread might get. There are a few big ones out there, though.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I have a 30" tropical. Ill try to get a good pic. He's very dark and doesn't photo well. and a 24-26" Florida

pagojoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Conroe, TX
Most of the record sizes on "longnose" are actually longnose/alligator gar hybrids, so it's tough to tell if you are just reading a list of sizes and not looking at photos. I caught one that was 73" long, but some of the hybrids that are registered as longnose are several inches longer.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Most of the record sizes on "longnose" are actually longnose/alligator gar hybrids, so it's tough to tell if you are just reading a list of sizes and not looking at photos. I caught one that was 73" long, but some of the hybrids that are registered as longnose are several inches longer.
where did you get that information since they will most likely take a DNA test when they put the fish in record.

pagojoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
Conroe, TX
They DO NOT take a DNA test, all that is required is for a TP&W game warden to "verify" that the hybrid is a longnose, and the record is certified. 99% of the game wardens in Texas can't tell the difference, of course. There have been a couple record longnose decertified after-the-fact in Texas because of a biologist reversing the certification.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
They DO NOT take a DNA test, all that is required is for a TP&W game warden to "verify" that the hybrid is a longnose, and the record is certified. 99% of the game wardens in Texas can't tell the difference, of course. There have been a couple record longnose decertified after-the-fact in Texas because of a biologist reversing the certification.
that is so dumb, they should have done the DNA test like with the striped bass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store