debris in limbo

Eglinlotus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2013
Ft Walton Beach, FL
I have a small problem, I have somewhat a lot of suspended particles in my water and me having a little bit of OCD is freaking ANNOYING!!! lol I have a 120 gallon 4x2x2 duel over flow sump system with a 815 gph pump and a 380gph canister filter inline with my sump system and filter socks. My filter socks collect a lot of it but I clean out my sump really well and my canister filter and I still have particles even after a 50% water change with gravel vac. Do you guys recommend anything? I may just do a 80% water change and clean out my sump and canister one more time again and not feed my fish for 3 days after (btw the only foods they get are frozen). Thanks fellas.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I have this same problem too. I would experiment with what your are feeding. I found with some foods - frozen bloodworms for example - the exo-skeleton isn't digested very well and floats in the water column when excreted. Some pellets can be messy too. Freeze dried foods -krill & mealworms - were a nightmare.

I've got an overstocked tank w/ large CA cichlids in it, so I'm just going to have to deal with it. NLS pellets seem to be one of the cleanest foods to feed IME.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
What's the micron rating on your filter socks? If you ran a 50 or 20 micron sock it should clear up pretty well. Of course, you'd have to change them more often but that's the price to pay for clear water. Also, frozen foods are messy, can you switch to pellets, at least for some of the time?

You could also dim the lights if they are super bright. It doesn't clear the water, but you can't see the suspended particles as well :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store