!! I Need Help Picking New tank Mates !!

JanelleyBelly

Feeder Fish
Mar 22, 2013
Makawao, Hawaii
They NEVER have chiclas/chiclids at my local pet store(and no ones ships to hawaii). They finally got some in.
SO....I want to purchase some large chiclids and want to be sure they are compatible with my synos. I have 2 decorus syno and 2 featherfins.
I know everywhere it says syno and chiclids are an OK, but is that the same with the larger breed chiclids?
The pet stores never seem to know ANYTHING about their fish! Extremely sad, as they are selling, or should i say killing, these fish left and right.

my choices:Trimaculatus Chiclid
Managuese Chiclid
Wolf Chiclid (Dovi)
Paratilapia
they are all juveniles around 2 inches. I have a 55 grow out and will have a 125 in the next 6 months. And then saving for my 300 and so on (we all know how addicting it is :) I do have seperate side tanks in case of a bad mix...But is it ok to try and mix them w my synos??

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
The parachromis in my experience will be way to rough on the synos. I've never had paratilapia so can't say on that. I would say you could maybe try the jag and paratilapia. Don't even try with dovii, it will kill the cats and the other two cichlids.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JanelleyBelly

Feeder Fish
Mar 22, 2013
Makawao, Hawaii
so a big no on the Dovi...which is what i've seen so far researching them. You've had jags? any prob with them? or certain tricks to keep em happy and healthy?
Ill do some more research on the paratilapia...And might think about incorporating an oscar.

Lunglover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2013
Nor Cal
so a big no on the Dovi...which is what i've seen so far researching them. You've had jags? any prob with them? or certain tricks to keep em happy and healthy?
Ill do some more research on the paratilapia...And might think about incorporating an oscar.
As long as you have adequate hiding spots I don't see a problem with any of those options honestly.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
To keep a jag all you need is to let it have a cave, not a demanding species. Only problem is they can be a little aggressive mainly in a territorial way but because a jag can claim a entire 125 as its own you see the problem. I would put a Oscar with a jag unless the Oscar was already larger then the jag. I've personally had no luck getting them to live together long term. Usually ends with a shredded Oscar. I wouldn't recommend housing more than one of the choices in a 55 with other cichlids especially the parachromis, will outgrow the others than start beating on them.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
wrong section, this should be in CA/SA cichlid section

also oscars get killed by just about any CA cichlid unless they are quite a bit larger

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store