African Arowana Help

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
So I got this african arowana from rte 4 aquarium... I've done alot of research on buying this fish but I never see someone talking about its behavior... i just bought it today and its already "eating". What i mean by "eating" though is that it picks up like 15 frozen blood worms... then spits them all back out...This is a new behavior to me. f22 has said that they are eating frozen foods now. i chose frozen blood worms as my staple for now as its about 2-3 inches long in my 10 gallon aquarium. Does anyone have some tips for this small giant? and why its spitting out the worms after it sucks up like a mouth full?

mikehagan

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2011
Pittsburgh
He's eating. Anything that won't fit into its mouth is repeatedly sucked in and out until it does. My 14" one still does this with pieces of shrimp and tilapia for my bichirs. When I bought mine at that size I kept a dirtier tank. They will feed all day. Mine learned to eat off the intake of the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Considering these fish were imported straight from Nigeria they won't e used I other foods other than live/frozen. I ordered some earthworm flakes from ken. Hopefully that will be easily taken in and it can grow bigger faster.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
He's eating. Anything that won't fit into its mouth is repeatedly sucked in and out until it does. My 14" one still does this with pieces of shrimp and tilapia for my bichirs. When I bought mine at that size I kept a dirtier tank. They will feed all day. Mine learned to eat off the intake of the filter.

Did you buy it at 14? Or did you grow it out from small? And if it was from small how long did it take to grow out to 14?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Young african arowana are very fragile. I'm sorry for you're loss. If you want to try again, use Sally's bloodworms from petco. They are the slimmest worm I could find.

... I didn't think they were this fragile! Guess I'm going to have to try again... Ugh. Gonna put it with a ebjd juvi. Hopefully they can work things out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store