red slime + fish with ich?

Lady Blast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2013
Bay Area, CA
I am having trouble with red slime but I am treating my clown for ich for 6 days down with paraguard and he isnt cured T__T I really need to do a water change. I did a 50% change 6 days ago and I have a huge bloom of ugly algae all over and one rock has red slime. Should I 50% water change and try copper treatment and forget about paraguard? Overnight the left large chunk of live rock has now turned brown. This has been setup for almost 4 months now. I haven't had charcoal in for 6 days and havent done a water change in 6 days due to trying to cure ich which isnt looking very cured. My tank looks so ugly now ughhhhhhh.

Fish Fingers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
Paraguard wont kill ich and using copper in your display could be disastrous. The algae's coming from high nutrient levels, possibly your tap water if not using ro/di and also from feeding your fish.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I highly wouldn't recommend copper because even though it does a good job, you'll never be able to keep inverts ever. So if one day you decided to get an anemone for your clown or want a shrimp or starfish, they'll all die once you add copper to the tank.
I would first separate the clown in a qt tank and try ick attack or some other type if ick medication. If that still fails, you could try hyposalinity but its a pretty long and tedious process.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lady Blast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Thank you guys so much!!

I have the aquaclear 70 on it and the large air disk. I just put the air disk on 6 days ago when I read to not have any dead circulation zones in the water. I will setup 6 gallon QT and use quickcure?

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
I am having trouble with red slime but I am treating my clown for ich for 6 days down with paraguard and he isnt cured T__T I really need to do a water change. I did a 50% change 6 days ago and I have a huge bloom of ugly algae all over and one rock has red slime. Should I 50% water change and try copper treatment and forget about paraguard? Overnight the left large chunk of live rock has now turned brown. This has been setup for almost 4 months now. I haven't had charcoal in for 6 days and havent done a water change in 6 days due to trying to cure ich which isnt looking very cured. My tank looks so ugly now ughhhhhhh.

with ich in a tank with live rock you cannot use copper it will kill all inverts and make the live rock useless, if you have access to a hospital tank you could transfer the sick fish there and treat with copper then after the fish is healthy and all ich signs are gone you can re-acclimate back into the display tank if you cannot do this paraguard is okay but I have had great success with this product here

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ruby_Ree...ations-Ruby_Reef-RR1111-FIMEPS-RR1113-vi.html

As far as the red slime I think you said in a previous post this was a new tank how old is it? what are you feeding your fish and how much, what is the water parameters?

Lady Blast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2013
Bay Area, CA
t5 light

ammonia/nitrate/nitrite spiked to .25, did a water change and back to 0. no ph kit atm, temp is 78. running aqua clear 70 and using a air disk on the other end of the tank. feeding flake once a day, going to ask my brothers gf if she has been feeding them when I am at work...didn't think of that before. Sometimes I feed two times a day, once with flake; just a pinch so that they eat it all, and a cube of marine cuisine which is probably too much food. Salinity is 1.026

I set the tank up in June as a 6 gallon, then 2 weeks later I used all that water and live rock and made the 30 gallon. I waited until the end of August for any fish. Using Prime and good bacteria.

Screw petco and it's stupid ICH fish. My 4 chromis never came down with it that I got from my LFS ....should have drove the extra 15min to the LFS to begin with. I am mad that I didn't catch the ich to begin with, I was too busy blabbing and didnt inspect well enough.

paraguard def does not cure ich

Thank you all very much for your replies and help, I greatly appreciate it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store