Andinoacara pulchra - Aren't They a Bit Young For This???

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
I have had Blue Acaras in the past. And when Spencer Jack at aFISHionados in Winnipeg brought in some wild caught youngsters, I couldn't resist, picking out six. They were just over an inch and appeared very healthy and vigorous. I put them in with ten similarly sized Astatheros altifrons young from a recent spawn. They were housed in a 25G cube tank with a sponge filter and silica sand substrate. I decided not to decorate the tank for ease of maintenance. After about a month or so, the 'pulchra', at 1 1/2 to 2" started to show increased coloration and began to interact with one another. It seems I ended up with four males and two females. Yesterday, I noticed one pair guarding a clutch of eggs which they laid on a heater. I immediately pulled the plug so the eggs wouldn't 'hard boil'. Here are some pictures of the really young (and very attractive) Blue Acara parents, all 2 inches of them, doing a great job protecting their very first spawn.
[video=youtube_share;RirTpQEstcc]http://youtu.be/RirTpQEstcc[/video]

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
The first blue acaras I ever had as a kid spawned at 2". I thought they were babies when I got them from the LFS but they spawned about four days later. I've also had port-type cichlids spawn at small sizes. My last pair the female was only 3" or so.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Btw, it's a shame you're in Canada -- I'd love some wild or F1 blue acaras. I haven't seen them here in a long time. I never know if the LFS varieties have been crossed with similar Andinoacara.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
As I keep saying, one of the most under rated cichlids in the hobby is the poor ol' blue acara. Very sweet that you got some wilds in.

Ryan - Rapps occasionally gets them in. He's admitted in a thread before to being a closet acara guy.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
^ I PM'd him a while back about the A. latifrons which are very close, but unfortunately he'd just sold all but one lone fish. They were on his list for weeks and I didn't bite when I had the chance. I'm kicking myself now.

As far as cichlids go, acaras are my favorite. You really can't beat the blue acaras -- mild enough for a community, small enough to not require a massive tank, great parents, beautiful shape and colors, easy to care for and spawn -- it's no wonder they've been a staple in the hobby for so long.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
As I keep saying, one of the most under rated cichlids in the hobby is the poor ol' blue acara. Very sweet that you got some wilds in.
As far as cichlids go, acaras are my favorite. You really can't beat the blue acaras -- mild enough for a community, small enough to not require a massive tank, great parents, beautiful shape and colors, easy to care for and spawn -- it's no wonder they've been a staple in the hobby for so long.
I'm in full agreement with your comments . . . one highly under rated beauty!!

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Spawning at under 2 inches! Nice!

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Jim, they're cuter than heck :)

@Ryan, I've made the same procrastination mistake with Rapps' stocklist. The reason being, the cost of my safest Next Day shipping to Calif is over $70.00. I need to bite the bullet more often.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store