Arowana not eating for 2 weeks

nawney7

Feeder Fish
Sep 14, 2013
UAE
Hi guys, i really need help.. my Jardini is not eating for 2 weeks now - he is 16cm and almost 6 months with me . he was ok but after transferring him to his new tank - 40x60 size suddenly he stop eating. i change the water and put melafix i even used food with garlic extract but no luck...but when i tried to feed him with salt he ate it... actually it was by force.... pls. do help me:cry::cry::cry: i dont want to loose him...

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
First of all you need to relax and not overreact, force feeding a fish is seldom a good thing. You put your aro through a very traumatic experience by transferring to another tank. It will need some time to settle into it's new surroundings. By force feeding it you are just adding more stress. Just keep the water parameters in check and offer food once every other day, if uneaten remove after 5-10 minutes. There are members here that have had their aro go for 5 or 6 weeks without eating and are just fine.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I agree, double check temp's and parameters but it's not unusual for fish to go off food when put into a new home. try feeding small amounts every few days but unless he starts to loose weight I'd just wait it out it'll get hungry! I also agree force feeding is a very bad idea. What are you feeding him ?? Have you tried tossing in a few live insects ? I find they can't resist them.

Archer1X

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2013
Astral Plane
I have a baby Jardini myself. Got him from a LFS near my house, and for the first few weeks I just put him in 2 feet tank because that is all I have at that time. So when I got the money, I bought a 4 feet tank, make a good water cycle, and then put him in. He behave just like yours, he didn't eat for the first few days.

But when I put in a couple of discus, river shrimp, and small guppies, he started to show some response by eating them one by one, all of them! :D

You have to be patient, and keep the tank clean..make sure the water parameter is good, and the fish is behaving normally, swimming with right posture and so on. Keep us updated bro..

Eddie_87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
Malaysia
Let it settle to its new environment.. as per everyone's reply, check water parameters regularly.. if i may add, try to optimize natural daylight as much as u can.. it will relax ur aro.. but u must relax first.. dont force it.. well, u know the rest... all the best

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store