K1 Media Not Moving

fishcandy

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2012
Cali
I have a 80 gallon we dry sump, and my k1 media is not turning over. I added three round air stones and a power head and the bottom is moving but not the top. Any suggestions? When I do a water change, it moves more, but about a day or so it just sits on top floating. The bottom k1 moves because of the power head pushing water. I will try to take pics tonight. Thank you.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Can you post a bunch of pics of the entire setup?

Moving beds need LOTS of air. What are you using for an air pump? How old is the K1? New stuff won't boil right till you get enough film built up on it.....

Reactions: Lepisosteus

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sounds like you have too much media for given space. Whats the actual reactor size area and how much media in it?

Sent from Note 2 mini computer

Reactions: Lepisosteus

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
It will take some time, but it sounds like your air pump may not be large enough. What size is it?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
you need 40% media / 60% water. It takes a lot of current to get it tumbling.

fishcandy

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2012
Cali
Here are some pics from iphone 4. Thanks for all your help guys. I was going to buy a small return pump to add some water on top, is that not good to do? I saw it from another sump but noisy...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Put all your air disks down flow in the sump. Here is mine the water flows left to right in my tank so I put the bubbler (mine is made from pvc) down right at the wall before the pump intake.

Sent from Note 2 mini computer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store