How to prevent Dropeye?

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
I want to make this a sticky but I don't know how.

But here:

Drop eye is said to always be present when an arowana is old, but there are ways to stop this.

Feeding

Arowanas are surface dwellers and feed on the surface, so always feed them floating food, if you feed sinking food, they will look down all the time and get Dropeye. If you overfeed them they will have fat build up behind their eye and get Dropeye. Drop eye has some remedies for curing, you can try them but they may not work, but the best thing is to avoid it in the first place.

I know I'll get haters for making this, I don't know how to make it a sticky but I've seen someone get flamed for making a bad sticky. Please don't be too mean I just wanted to try.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
You need to have a bit more that speculative theory to justify a post/thread being made sticky. The feeding floating foods only is only a small part of it, people have only fed floating foods and have still found silvers get DE. Truth is no one really knows what causes it, and it is pretty much inevitable and impossible to prevent with silvers.

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
When arowanas are old, they will eventually get it, but if you keep them well, there is a chance that they will have no drop eye.

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
In the wild they don't get it, the reason for drop eye in well kept specimens is because of the inbreeding.

Andrink

Jardini
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
Other arowana have less chance of getting Dropeye.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Reasons why Arowana's in the wild prevents getting drop eye.

-Fat build up, even though aro's in the wild get a lot of protein, the distance they travel within a river's reach will burn enough fat to prevent fat in the eye to build up. Also notice the jumping part? They use a lot of energy to perform such powerful jumps in the wild in order to hunt for flying insects, birds, or anything that can fit in their mouth, that's also a given exercise.

-Eyesight, They're top dwellers most of their diet consist of anything above the waters, aro's can be found in shallow areas wherein they don't just find food in the bottom, so in short their eyesight in focus is for above to find food.

-Genetics, also there are aro's that are prone to DE, silvers are on the top list, Asians on the other hand are not really exempted to DE but most of them avoid to get DE.

-Age, theoretically it's a factor, but even young aro's are viable to get DE.

No one knows really (scientifically studies) how DE can be prevented, some stories putting in a pond cure DE. but I mean I don't get it, Aro farming is a huge profit for people, just why don't they fund research about this stuff so that DE can be reduced or prevented. (well if there is, links or reading material pls)

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
There is already a drop eye sticky

thatdudeoverthere21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
I've heard that to small of a tank will help cause the disease. They are looking down for food and swimming in a small area, but with a larger tank, they are looking ahead or above. Dont know if its true or if it works. Just what i've heard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store