im new to salt water. need some help and tips

Azndrift06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA 90065
i currently have freshwater tank in my 120gal acrylic tank. i move them in my 60gal tank. Yesterday i spend the whole day cleaning my tank, filter, powerhead, sand. i was wondering if i could used the same sand i use for my fresh water tank? help and tips would be nice. thanks

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Best would be to get new as allot of stuff in the sand now will die off and make the cycle a little harder.

Sent from Note 2 mini computer

Azndrift06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA 90065
i was watching youtube about (MR.SALTWATER) he said he use dead corals and dead sand. is that mean i could use anything like my fresh water sand and my rocks? someone told me if i used the sand from my fresh water tank that i might end up with SILICATES and PHOSPHATES which will lead to high algae problem. is this bad for my water and for the fish after my cycle?

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
It will be fine for a little while, but you would be better off with a true live sand/aragonite/crushed coral/calcium carbonate to buffer your pH/alkalinity and calcium levels. Otherwise you'll end up dosing way too many supplements down the road in a futile attempt to maintain your alkalinity. Trust me on this, I just watched my coworker struggle to maintain these levels when he had regular silica beach sand. After he replaced 50% of the substrate with aragonite, he hasn't had to dose alkalinity at all. Before he was dosing over 2tbs of soda ash per day in a 75g! You can also put some crushed coral in a media reactor if you really want to keep your substrate. I use black sand in my 10g reef and Just have a bag of aragonite in my HOB filter.

I can go into way more depth about this process if you like, but the short answer if you're gonna need to buy some crushed coral.

I am a marine biologist and I have worked in the aquarium trade for 3 years. I have worked in 2 stores, maintained freshwater and reef tanks professionally, and I am a fish consultant for a store now.

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
I've used live sand with great results, and it shouldn't be dirty if buying a decent grade reef sand. I've heard every side of the debate, and I didn't know what to believe until my friend set up a bio cube and just to test live sand added only RO/salt mix and caribsea live sand. Within a week he said he had all sorts of colored diatoms and algae growing in patches on the sand. So maybe only eggs and capsules survive the oxygen depleted bag the sand comes in, but it definitely helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store