Craigslist deal of the year or my new nightmare?

bigphil001

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2013
Lake in The Hills IL
I have been looking to upgrade from my 150 gallon tank for a long time. My Aro is going to need some more space soon. I found this tank on Craigslist for $500.

After some research I found that it was a custom built aquarium by Dutch Aquarium Systems.

Here is what it looked like brand new:
Custom_Oak_Special_Design_RM.JPG

The place I bought it from said they got it from the original owner who had it custom built for $8500. Here is the website for the people that built it: http://www.dasaquariums.com/Aquariums.html.

They had it set up for about 3 months and then it started to have a slow leak from one of the corners. They drained it and havent used it since.

This is the corner where the leak is at. I think it just needs to be stripped and re sealed.

I think that all the seals in the entire tank need to be stipped and re done.

Here are some more pictures of its current condition.

OK so now after all the pictures I have a few questions for the community:

I only put a $50 deposit on it and they are asking $500. I can still back out. Is the tank worth it consider the amount of work i have to do to it to make it water worthy again?

I originally thought it had two overflows on the back of it. They are actually in tank filters. I have zero experience working with these type of filters. The owner assures me that he had them up and running and was only using those filters. Do you guys think that is enojugh filtration for a tank that size? Also and anyway explain to me a little more how they work?

There is a hole on the right hand side of the tank that it looks like they filled. Someone probably originally had it drilled. Any recomendations for re patching this?

Lastly does anyone know of any good aquarium movers in the chicago area that aren't too expensive?

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
I would get it for $500. Thats seems like a pretty good price for a tank and stand, but what are its funky dims? Not sure if they would be the best for a aro

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Cool 1/2 dog bone or whatever shape that is, although I agree with Skittle that it may not offer the best dimensions for an arro. For the price they're asking it honestly doesn't seem like a bad deal. I have a DAS tank myself and although it did have a small corner leak when I got it setup, fixing it was a breeze.

bigphil001

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2013
Lake in The Hills IL
Anyone know anything about the filters that are built onto the back wall of the tank? are they worth keeping?

The dimensions are roughly 3 feet wide at the "dogbones" and about 10' long. They said approximately 350-400 gallons.

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
If it's 3' wide on the ends your Aro should be able to turn around fine as long as it doesn't just stop in the middle and turn around lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Do it, seal it up and use it for a month then sell me it for 800 ;D

Sent from mobile app.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
When you go in to talk with the LFS further about buying the tank, or to get your $50 back, whichever you decide....ask about the leak again. Then ask them how they'd go about fixing the leak. Then ask them for more detail about the stripping the seals, or whatever it is that needs to be done (I have no clue). But having them say all this and talk about it for 2-3 minutes is going to make it IMPOSSIBLE for them to look you in the eye and say "$500 firm". After having spent 3 minutes saying what all is involved in fixing seals on a tank, how much time it will take to do just one seal (ask them that), how long it will take to dry, how it may require a re-seal, etc., they will take $400.....or $300. Get them to tell you themselves that there's work on your part, and THEN hit em with your counter-offer....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store