Do African arowanas have teeth?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I know they are liter feeders primarily. Especially when they are small. But so they ever grow teeth? And wen do they stop first feeding? My afrowana is having difficulty eating blood worms..

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Is it a juvi? try daphnia/ baby brine shrimps...

edit: for the teeth part... dunno really.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Rte4 had them on live bloods and live blacks. But I don't have any. So I'm currently feeding it earthworm flakes. It's having trouble swallowing I think. It eats it and spits it out

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
They are filter feeders so you need a to feed a very small sized food when they are that size. They are probably unable to take in the flakes. You're probably going to have to pick up either black worms or freeze dried Mysis shrimp (avoid blood worms since they have very little nutritional value). Once the aro get's to about 6", you can then start feeding pellets. They need to be fed multiple times a day at that small of a size.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
They are filter feeders so you need a to feed a very small sized food when they are that size. They are probably unable to take in the flakes. You're probably going to have to pick up either black worms or freeze dried Mysis shrimp (avoid blood worms since they have very little nutritional value). Once the aro get's to about 6", you can then start feeding pellets. They need to be fed multiple times a day at that small of a size.
I see. As for te earthworm flakes I crush them pretty finely. Especially since I got baby electric blue jack dempseys in there too. So it must be getting some sort of nutrition and food. I'll go pick up some freeze dried bring shrimp/daphnia/mysis. Hopefully these guys will survive. I've got some wardly shrimp pellets. And they just fall apart Ito this nice fine powder pile. Maybe I'll put some of that in there too

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I posted this a while back on raising juvie afaros. It should help:

The african arowana, Heterotis niloticus, is extremely time-consuming to keep alive as juvies in aquaria. They basically have to have access to food constantly until they reach about 8" and their bodies start holding reserve fat. These are filter feeding fish that can reach 3ft in length. I raised them on dense culture crumbles, frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, brine shrmp plus, cyclop-eeze, mosquito larvae, and daphnia. Leftover foods made up the "constant" part of their feeding regimen.
I kept mine going by keeping them in bare tanks with sponge filters. The sponge filters were beneficial in that they attracted food to their surface which the aros grazed on between feedings. Water chemistry is hard and alkaline with rift lake salts added to the tank. Water changes are every other day and sponge filters each are rinsed off on alternating days to keep spoiled food off the aros grazing areas. The tank receives direct sunlight to 1 side for an hour or 2 a day. The water is pretty green (to match their native waters).
Young can be kept together for only a short time, as very small fry, before they become intolerant of each other and begin fighting. The stronger one will harass the smaller ones until there is only one aro left in the tank. As sub-adults, they become tolerant of conspecifics again. I have other small growout species in with my young aros and they've never bothered them. These fish are active in all areas of the tank and are always on the move.
This is an awesome species if you can resolve yourself to being extremely busy on their maintenance for the first 6-8 months or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store