Need some help, MFK. Possible mini-cycle.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Ok guys, I need your help.

My fish are acting a bit off lately and I suspect that thanks to a bone headed maneuver on my part, I might be having a mini cycle. The long and short of it is that I forgot to plug my FX5 back in after a water change. It was three days before I noticed it. I now suspect that I'm having a mini cycle.

Where I need the help of all of you is that I'm colorblind. I normally get my wife to help me with my tests, but she's out of state because I'm moving very soon. Sent her ahead to scout houses and whatnot. I'm hoping that you all can confirm for me that I either have a mini cycle on my hands or not. I did also recently add a few growouts to the main tank so there is a distinct possibility that everyone's just not comfortable with each other yet.

My filtration is a Wlim Bioglass 16, an FX5 completely loaded down with bio and an old Marineland 60 gallon filter that hosts a thriving pothos colony. I'm also running an AC110 for circulation, but there's no media in it at present time.

Here's the results, please give your feedback-

20130920_223519.jpg

20130920_223546.jpg

20130920_223613.jpg

20130920_223519.jpg

20130920_223546.jpg

20130920_223613.jpg

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
your GOLDEN, pardon the pun:)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Your water test is perfect. Is your Fx5 a filter used for surface agitation? Perhaps they were lethargic from a lack of dissolved oxygen?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That's a negatory, it discharges at the bottom left of the tank.

The issue that I'm having is that my black aro and my GATF are swimming around like they're trying to get out of the tank. Normally they only act this way when I bone something in my water chemistry, but that doesn't appear to be the case. The new fish are all acting pretty much fine. My big, old red tail black shark is fine. My goonch is fine. It's only my two 'main' fish that are acting weird and it's bothering me. :/

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
So you forgot to plug in the fx5 which is loaded with bio media for three days? Did you drain the fx5 before restart up or did you just plug it back in? If you just plugged it back with the old water in the filter could it possibly released toxins into the aquarium? I would just do the regimen for a mini cycle water changes daily with full tank treatment of prime it will remove any toxins from the water.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I did exactly the same thing awhile back and because of my pothos and SF I had no mini cycle!

Pothos power baby! Glad ur fish are ok!

:beer::beer::beer:

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
This is why I refuse to use canisters. I've forgot to plug them back in, I've had them quit, they get nasty so fast and restarting them is always frustrating.

I would have definitely stripped it down and cleaned the whole thing before plugging back in. IF you just plugged it back in I would bet that 3 day nasty is what's got Max and Droggo all bent out of shape. Not sure exactly what the "nasty" is but doubt it's going to show up in any test.

When stagnant filter juice incidents happen here I just flush the tank (crank the 1/4" drip line wide open for a day) or do a few good sized water changes if it's not on a drip. A healthy dose of carbon couldn't hurt either. Never lost any fish from it, but have definitely had some unhappy fish from it.

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
Agreed, I'd do a healthy water change, overdose the tap water conditioner, and add a little salt ... I agree it was probably the stagnant water in combination with less filtration than they are used to that got them acting a little funny ... I'm a huge fan of "if somethings not right do a waterchange" ... my fish are always their most aggressive and active, and eat the most directly after a waterchange

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store