Totally new, need help!

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
So I'm moving into a smaller flat and had to move my 75 gallon piranha tank to my parents house. Now I have no tank and in rapidly getting the itch. I fancy trying out saltwater but have had absolutely no experience with saltwater. I'm only looking for a small tank, something like 24" long. Is there anywhere I can get a step by step guide on how to set it up and cycle it?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
well my advice would be first to read and research it first nano and smaller tanks are very unforgiven to new comers and any mistakes will wipe out the tank. Ever since the nano tank boom I have seen hundreds of new comers go the small tank route only to be disheartened at a small mistake in water chemistry and loss the whole tank if you really want something to help you I gladly will help but also this book is a very great tool to have at your disposal after some 20 plus years of saltwater experience I still like to use this book and read it.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Marine-Aq...1379833667&sr=1-3&keywords=saltwater+aquarium

if your heart is set on a nano tank then please take the time to read this book

http://www.amazon.com/Nano-Reef-Han...33718&sr=1-2&keywords=saltwater+nano+aquarium

mr.reef24

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
On top of this forum there's a sticky thread on cycling procedures. Take things slow and do your research. I started with curing LR to cycle - took 9 weeks for nitrates to drop to 20ppm then I added a damsel - took another 3 weeks for nitrates to drop from 40 ppm to 20ppm. Tank size was 26 gal w. 30lbs of LR, after I got my head around this tank it was way too small - jumped up to a 210 gal tank for the last few years - most enjoyable tank I've ever had also the biggest pain in the neck.

I see you had/have P's - my largest and oldest Caribe passed on last weekend - 16" @ 10 years of ownership. RIP - to a true monster fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store