African Arowana Recommended Tank Size?

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
300g, we're talking about wide footprint here. But more space is a lot more appreciated, and a little reminder, they NEED A LOT OF CARE when bought young.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
300g, we're talking about wide footprint here. But more space is a lot more appreciated, and a little reminder, they NEED A LOT OF CARE when bought young.
I know they need a lot of care. I just wanted to get some extra opinions as I said a minimum of a 240g (7x3x2H) whilst having a discussion with a gentleman who claimed a 75g will do :screwy:

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
I know they need a lot of care. I just wanted to get some extra opinions as I said a minimum of a 240g (7x3x2H) whilst having a discussion with a gentleman who claimed a 75g will do :screwy:

I could tell that half a year for a afrowana the 75g that gentleman said would be almost half + the size of the afrowana...

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
Definitely 300 gallons. They're great fish, but if you are looking for an arowana that requires a smaller tank size, a silver one requires 120 gallons.

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Definitely 300 gallons. They're great fish, but if you are looking for an arowana that requires a smaller tank size, a silver one requires 120 gallons.
No. Silvers require just as much as blacks

Edit: I meant afros not blacks

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
You could go for 55 to 75 with a African Butterfly Fish, it's still an arowana. =P

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
lol this isn't for me. I was at work and a guy came in looking for a Aro, either black, silver or african. He then proceeded to try and "tutor" me in the art of fish keeping. According to him and I quote "All the above aros require a minimum of 75g and will not exceed 12" haha! :confused::eek::banghead::what::confused:
I looked at him in shock and then burst out laughing as he genuinely believed it! I googled all of the aros so he could see max sizes and then said "honestly, I wouldn't put any of the aros in anything less than 300g but 240g could work for a while as a temporary tank". He then Brought up RTC and TSN and told me he had them in a 75g! I refused any sale for him and he walked out in a strop. He actually showed me pics as well as though it was a good thing. Felt so bad for those fish! :eek::sly::thumbdown::screwy:

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
lol this isn't for me. I was at work and a guy came in looking for a Aro, either black, silver or african. He then proceeded to try and "tutor" me in the art of fish keeping. According to him and I quote "All the above aros require a minimum of 75g and will not exceed 12" haha! :confused::eek::banghead::what::confused:
I looked at him in shock and then burst out laughing as he genuinely believed it! I googled all of the aros so he could see max sizes and then said "honestly, I wouldn't put any of the aros in anything less than 300g but 240g could work for a while as a temporary tank". He then Brought up RTC and TSN and told me he had them in a 75g! I refused any sale for him and he walked out in a strop. He actually showed me pics as well as though it was a good thing. Felt so bad for those fish! :eek::sly::thumbdown::screwy:

The truth hurts... most of the monster fishes that people here on MFK would give a give argument to like RTC, TSN, arowanas, MBU puffers and such, are always can be contained within 75-125g according to some proud owners... sigh*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store