Electric Blue Acaras

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I finally managed to snag a small group of these guys from Bluegrass Aquatics. They're small and fairly thin, but they have tons of energy and appetite. Hopefully they'll put on some weight over the next few weeks and look better. Still, being such a big acara fan, these were an instant favorite as soon as they went into my quarantine tank. Let's hope they're hardier than EBJD and that they breed true.

[video=youtube;-UEPvRWtRSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UEPvRWtRSM[/video]

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
A very nice find, indeed! I love how lively they are! :)

Judge Holden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2010
Milwaukee
Anyone know where/when/how EBAs originated? EBJDs were almost miraculous:
A spontaneous mutation has a rate os 1 / 1,000,000 base pairs during DNA replication, but that probability becomes even more unlikely when you consider:

- The mutation has to take place in a base pair that is a part of an actual gene... most of the DNA in a cell is not used for anything (that we know of)

- The mutation has to be be missed by the cell's revision enzymes that actually rad the DNA and correct mistakes

- The mistake occurs in a gene that is not essential for the survival of the organism (like the hemoglobin gene)

- The mistake takes place during gamete production so the gene actually gets passed on (a mutation is a skin cell will not be passed on)

The chance of a random mutation producing the blue dempsey is arguably so remote that it should never have happened... but it did. It is even more unlikely that the exact same mutation would occur in someone elses tank somewhere else in the world. http://www.minnfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=16305

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
As with most of the fish created and bred in Asia, no one seems to be talking. Iridescent blue fish are nothing new, though. You have EBJD, electric blue rams, Thai silk flowerhorn, and then of course blue diamond discus (which have been around 20+ years). So I'd say someone knows the secret.

I still never got the story on super red severums, either. I guess some things will always be a mystery. :(

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Looking good Ryan. You should have no problem fattening them up the way they are cruching that nls! I've been interested in these acaras since I first saw pics on here too.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Well, they ended up with ich their second day here. I'd heard from three other people who got their fish from various LFS that they had the same experience. Apparently they're a bit sensitive to it. I caught it early (just a few spots on the fins) and started heat and salt. It's already gone but I'm keeping the heat elevated for another week just to be sure.

I can tell you that these fish are way more aggressive toward one another than typical blue acara juveniles. This makes me wonder if they're really A. pulcher, or maybe mixed with something else (GT perhaps?). They're busy attacking and flaring at each other. Let's hope they're not too nasty toward other cichlids because I had plans to keep them with some orange head Geos and other peaceful stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store