Hey guys!

cantthinkofone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2013
Akron, Ohio
hello! i am an active reptile hobbyists and would really like to start working with fish. what would you people say is a good beginner tank size? and what are some good freshwater fish? i quite enjoy knife fish but i am open to ALL suggestions. thanks.

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Start with a 75 gallon! You can keep lots of fish to begin with and when the monster fish bug hits, it makes a great grow out tank. .

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
75 is a good size and since u like knifefish then a black ghost knifefish is a very beautiful and peaceful fish. However they're a bit sensitive to water conditions when young so I suggest you research about cycling a new tank if you don't know about it.
As a beginner you'd probably be better off starting with hardier fish like for example convicts or oscar, as they're more forgiving to beginner mistakes. I'm only saying this cuz it's a bit discouraging when your first fish dies.
Welcome to the hobby :D

cantthinkofone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2013
Akron, Ohio
thank you for the tips! i went to my local petsmart just to window shop and dang are the cages expensive. the best place for tanks around here is two turtles (best freshwater supply ive seen. healthy annimals and great service) and i plan on going there tomorrow. i have seen them selling complete 150 gallon kits for a reasonable price. what are some good starter fish? im looking for having quite a couple fish in this aquarium. so fairly small. any ideas?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So basically you are looking for a community tank then...

Do you want all large-ish fish, lots of small fish, mixes of both?

If you let us know what direction you think you want to go, people im sure will give you some great ideas...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Without knowing much about your situation it's hard to make suggestions, but I'll try anyway. Given that you said you like knife fish, I'd say a standard 180g (6x2x2') is an ideal start-out tank. Big enough to keep the vast majority of popular aquarium species (not all together, obviously) and big enough to house most knife fish. Quite likely to be able to find one second hand for a reasonable price, not so big your powerbill will double, not going to require a separate room or hours of work, easily set up with commonly available parts (FX5 or similar canisters, 3' light units, etc etc). With a 180g you could have an interesting oddball community with say a black ghost knife, spiney eel, bichirs, some more mellow cichlids, etc etc.

That said, trying to tell someone which fish they should keep is like trying to tell them what sort of woman to find attractive....

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
So if you have absolutely never had owned a single fish before I would say a simple betta. Beautiful, easy to care for, hardy, and not too expensive for initial setup. But since I can tell you probably have some experience, as seen with your reptile keeping, I think a 75 gallon with a single oscar would be awesome. They have great personalities, get some good size on them, can have beautiful coloration, and are forgiving to mistakes. GL and definitely post with any questions!

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
Anything 75+ is a good starter. But really get what is best available to you . Even if its much larger. I have to agree. An oscar is a great choice, a jack dempsey, convicts, blood parot, texas cichlid, jaguar cichlid, all good choices.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cantthinkofone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2013
Akron, Ohio
alright thank you. i do indeed have experience. i even watched over my uncles 50 gallon salt water aquarium for a couple days. i just prefer fresh water. i am looking at one or two big fish and a couple small fish. so far i have a couple swordtails picked out and maybe a couple xray tetras. what do you guys think? oh and a knife fish obviously :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store