Tank mates ?

fooman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
canada b.c.
I was just wondering if anyone has kept geophagus with malawi cichlids? And if so how did it work out for you ?

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Not a good mix geos like soft acidic water whereas Africans like hard Alkaline water. I have heard of people mixing south americans with Africans with success but it never worked out good for me.

snakeheadrockz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2013
india, kerala
I dont know about geophagus but malvais are very aggressive, i had a 3'' malvai with a 4'' gt, the malvai was giving a good beating for him though gt was fighting back..

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Geos are too peaceful to be kept with malawi cichlids.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Agree. Water's not really the problem. I've successfully kept all my fish in the mid 7s pH, moderate hardness for years, including Malawis, Tanganyikans and SA, including some wild SA. But typical Malawis will be too much for most Suriname type geos-- would have said so based on experience keeping them separately, but, in fact, I had to do it temporarily last year due to a long power outage that had me juggling things after the derecho storm last year and the geos were not happy. I'd expect the same for Satanoperca.

Brazil type geos, don't know, maybe with haps and peacocks (not mbuna), though not something I'd do. Another issue is typical Malawi cichlids do better when overcrowded by SA standards.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store