Drain tank without sump

drunkenmastera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Atlanta GA
I have a 210G that I'm setting up. I want to setup a drain line that will only drain 50% of the water into drain line, not sump or anything else.
I want to be able to cut off the siphon with ball valve and restart it with ball valve. I like for it to be over the tank because I don't want to drill.
Is this possible? I can setup a pump and plumb it to pvc drain line, but to leave the big pump in the tank is too hideous.

I also want to mention the tank is about 10 feet above the drain pipe so gravity feed can be utilize, just not sure how.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Make a DIY over flow for and connect that to the drain line. Make the intake as low as you want the tank to drain.as long as it holds its syphon all you would have to do is open the valve and it will start draining

http://youtu.be/65yVr7DiDls

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
is there a way to keep the siphon lock in ?
also, can you use U elbow instead of 90 degree elbow?
As long as there is no air in the pipe when primed it will hold its siphon even when you close the valve. I suppose you can when I made mine I use 90 degree elbows. It made it easier to adjust it or take it apart.

drunkenmastera

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
Atlanta GA
thanks man. that video was very helpful.
the two pipes that matches in height, do they have to be a certain length or can it be shorter so I don't have to show too much in tank?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
thanks man. that video was very helpful.
the two pipes that matches in height, do they have to be a certain length or can it be shorter so I don't have to show too much in tank?
The two matching pipes have to be from an inch above the bottom to the top. It could be shorter but it won't work for what you want it to be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store