Secondary tank for filtration?

JimmyJBBPJMT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
Ok, I've got a 75 gal and a 55 gal. I've been seeing filtration systems that are simply another tank that sits beneath the larger tank. I've tried a little looking online to find more about them but not much luck as to what I'm looking for. So....
How do they work?
What are the components required?
How much will each size filter?
How many gal/hr pump is required?
What type of filtration media?
Can I run two tanks off of one filter tank?
What are the pros/cons to this system?
How much maintenance is required?

Thanks?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Commonly called "sumps".

How do they work?
Same as any filter, buy providing mechanical filter media to catch particulate waste and biological media for nitrifying bacteria to colonise. Water drains from the main tank via gravity (through an external overflow box or a drilled drain) and is returned by a pump.

What are the components required?
Plumbing stuff, sump tank, mechanical media, biological media, return pump, and usually a bit of knowledge/DIY.

How much will each size filter?
There isn't really a standard size, you can make them as big or small as needed. The main constraint with size is being able to hold all the water than drains down to the sump when the pump is switched off.

How many gal/hr pump is required?
Enough to provide enough turn over for the volume of your tank at the required head height.

What type of filtration media?
What ever you please.

Can I run two tanks off of one filter tank?

Yes.

What are the pros/cons to this system?
Pros; very effective, can be done cheaply with DIY, remove heaters and other junk from the tank.
Cons; can flood and/or be noisy if not set up or designed correctly. Really require a bit of research/understanding to be able to tailor one to your set up. Probably not worth while for anything much under 75g IMO.

How much maintenance is required?
Depends how often your mechanical media clogs.

Thanks?

No problem. Best thing to do is look through the Set Up and DIY Filters/tanks forum and have a look at others designs. There really isn't a right/wrong option, so long as your water is clear and you have enough bio to keep the ammonia and nitrite at zero, you could use work socks and lego bricks for bio and mechanical if you really wanted.

jhc7685

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2013
SoCal
More con are...

Overflow may not get the solids from the bottom of the tank but this is solved with weekly water changes and gravel vac.

Floating food tend to get into the overflow, turn off the pump when you're feeding or have a mesh over the overflow to prevent large food from flowing in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store