black arow with bucktooth tetra?

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
Alright well I just picked up a 7 inch black arowana....he lives with my 12inch wolf both are pretty good tank mates..wolf doesnt mess with him and he does go to the bottom to mess with the arowana.
Tank is pretty empty other then plants and clay pots ..
so my master plan is to add some bucktooth tetras like about 5 or 6 of them.

Do u guys think the arowana would be ok living with the bucktooth tetras?
Thank size is 75 gallon lightly planted..let me know your toughts

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Small aros are fairly fragile...im surprised the wolf didnt eat it immediatly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
The wolf is a red wolf he is pretty shy now since moving to the 75 gallon
The arowana stays up top.

So any suggestions? Bucktooth with arowana or no?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
The wolf is a red wolf he is pretty shy now since moving to the 75 gallon
The arowana stays up top.

So any suggestions? Bucktooth with arowana or no?
12 inch red wolf? As in Red Hi Fin or a Hoplias red? I've never heard of one getting 12 inches, I'd like to see pics! Never heard of an ery ery (red hi fin) wolf being shy either haha.

Bucktooth tetra (exodons) are a bit too small for that, if your talking exodons. They'll get munched by the red

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JwHiser13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Exodons are active 100% of the time, not only that but are also super notorious for not leaving anything alone at all. IME buck tooth's nip swim nip swim nip, nip nip then swim some more. I'd say leave them for a species only setup IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
12 inch red wolf? As in Red Hi Fin or a Hoplias red? I've never heard of one getting 12 inches, I'd like to see pics! Never heard of an ery ery (red hi fin) wolf being shy either haha.

Bucktooth tetra (exodons) are a bit too small for that, if your talking exodons. They'll get munched by the red

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yeah my hi fin is super shy now not so sure why. Every since he was move to the 75 he just hides all day long..which is kinda sad. He is about 10 inch Give or take..I just kinda eye balled him.
My red hasnt been eating either well not infront of me..he is fat and happy thats all I can say.
my arowana has been pellet train so the feeders I throw in he just leaves them alone, but he love pellets..hopefully he moves towards live soon.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Runninlow, there is NO good reason for wanting a fish to eat live foods. That is just asking for problems. As far as the wolf being shy, I imagine he is still in a little shock from being moved. I am sure he will come back. Just keep the lights out for a few days till he gets back to normal. Also raise the temp a degree or so. Good luck with everyone. PS: I have no opinion on the Exodons. All of my knowledge is from reading on the net.

runninlow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
minnesota
Runninlow, there is NO good reason for wanting a fish to eat live foods. That is just asking for problems. As far as the wolf being shy, I imagine he is still in a little shock from being moved. I am sure he will come back. Just keep the lights out for a few days till he gets back to normal. Also raise the temp a degree or so. Good luck with everyone. PS: I have no opinion on the Exodons. All of my knowledge is from reading on the net.
Yeah there isnt a good reason for any of my fishes to be eating live fish, but its just so COOL!! Other then that I could really care less if they ate pellets or live.
As for my wolfy Its been almost a month and he is still acting the same..always hiding..ive just given up and decided to just let him be..just as long that he is healthy.

keith42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
nebraska
I keep a shoal of exos (9) with my 3 rbp and in 4 months I've never had a problem. The exos are super active and fun to watch. They mostly keep to themselves IMO (chasing eachother around and interacting with only eachother.) I've also got a pleco that they never bother.

when i first got my exos I read a lot about how they are only good for species only tanks. I'd say Give it a shot. Just have a back up plan if things go wrong. Also watch out for exos disappearing from the wolf

Sent from my LG-P769 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store