Are aros with drop eye worth less?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I am contemplating buying a very impressive aro but it has Drop eye. How much less is an aro with with this condition worth? 50% less? Same value? I don't really mind the condition much, the eye isn't protruding out, just aiming slightly down.

I just don't want to waste money but I am willing to spend on my pets. I love them.

So how much does drop eye effect arowana value?

Thanks to all who contribute

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
The subject should say drop eye. Damn Swype typos! My phone won't let me edit the subject. Hopefully people will still read and contribute to the thread

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The subject should say drop eye. Damn Swype typos! My phone won't let me edit the subject. Hopefully people will still read and contribute to the thread

Better? All fixed.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
I am contemplating buying a very impressive aro but it has Drop eye. How much less is an aro with with this condition worth? 50% less? Same value? I don't really mind the condition much, the eye isn't protruding out, just aiming slightly down.

I just don't want to waste money but I am willing to spend on my pets. I love them.

So how much does drop eye effect arowana value?

Thanks to all who contribute

If you're looking for a quality showgrade arowana, yes it affects the value, whether price or the elegance of the arowana.
But for a serious hobbyist who loves a fish may it have a drop eye or not it's still a beauty in his eyes.
I recommend you to go and buy a juvenile and raise it, in that way may it develop drop eye you'll eventually be tied to it, it's because you love the hobby.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Thanks for the input. So say a black or Asian arowana, not a silver that you can expect DE. Around 2'. Would the condition greatly limit it's value? I've heard people say worthless, I've heard some say worth the same.

This will be a power and a show specimen, but by no means a contest fish. How much does it reduce value in non silver species? I imagine silver's not much reduction because most end up with it.

I like the juvenile idea, but it would be too small for the potential tank mates

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
The value of a fish is on the seller and buyer. If you like the fish as it is, buy it. If you don't like it, don't compromise, cuz you may end up trying to sell it

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Thanks for the input. So say a black or Asian arowana, not a silver that you can expect DE. Around 2'. Would the condition greatly limit it's value? I've heard people say worthless, I've heard some say worth the same.

This will be a power and a show specimen, but by no means a contest fish. How much does it reduce value in non silver species? I imagine silver's not much reduction because most end up with it.

I like the juvenile idea, but it would be too small for the potential tank mates
Actually, when you get an arowana, doesn't matter silver, black, Asian, Australian, there's a chance DE could happen.

supergourami

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
ontario
silver the value is not affected because it will have drop eye sooner or later with Asian arowanas the value is affected. (I my self would not buy an asain aro with DE.) and I hear black arowanas don't get dropeye

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
silver the value is not affected because it will have drop eye sooner or later with Asian arowanas the value is affected. (I my self would not buy an asain aro with DE.) and I hear black arowanas don't get dropeye
Black arowana or Asian Arowana's can develop and get D.E. there are hearsays about D.E. but one thing is for sure, fatty build ups, not enough exercise can make the arowana have fatty tissues around the eye. It's just my observation, arowana's are jumpers in nature, and for that jump they would require a lot of energy to do that, ofcourse it won't happen once in a day to get their belly full. Imagine meters away and a lot of jumps to cover all the energy they have to burn. Silver / Black arowana's won't get the nickname jumping monkeys of the amazon without that word, jump.

Edit: also there's a saying in arowana buying you get what you paid for. -Asian Buyers
But ofcourse keep a keen eye while buying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store