Understanding sumps?

P.A.NativesBPM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2012
Pennsylvania
Sorry to sound so stupid here, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around setting up a sump.
I'd like to employ one on my future discus tank but I just don't get how it's done.
The main issues is balancing the overflow and return pump.
(I'll be using a PVC overflow) so like what should the pump's GPH be for the diameter of the tube?
How do I do water changes?

Please point me to a good webpage or MFK member that could help.
Also, ideally a freshwater site. Part of the stuff confusing me is all the reef lingo I couldn't relate to to save my life.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
There is a lot of info on this subject in both Setup and Filtration and DIY Filtration. There are good stickies in DIY filtration to understand flow rates and how to match it to your pump.

For matching flows, I would first try to get a sufficient PVC size to match the potential of the pump. In order to tweak it to work just right, I'd put ball valves on the overflow pipes to cut the flow if need be. I always imagine that I'm going to end up with two intakes to match the multi-thousand GPH that my pumps will be.

As for the actual sump itself, they are fairly simple. Flow from the tank through a sock for mechanical filtration, then over some bio, then into a return chamber that feeds the pump.

Moved to setup and filtration.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
The more simple, the better IMO. I personally don't run ball valves on pump outputs, but there's nothing wrong with it if your pump is outrunning your overflows. A quick throttle back on the valve and you're good to go.

Once you get the idea of the sump you'll wonder why it took so long to set one up.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store