Beautiful but deadly

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
I'd like to know what's deadly about them as well. In the meantime, it's a beautiful coral. :)

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Well not those zoanthids...at least I don't think.

I believe you are referring to palytoxin, which is produced from a few species of corals, but it's mostly zoanthids in the Palythoa genus. However, there are also reports of Parazoanthus species producing it. And I believe that some of the organisms that produce it aren't related to zoanthids at all!

Either way, I'd avoid touching them if you have an open wound. Zoanthids are one of the cheapest and most-common corals on the market, with many stores offering frags starting at $5-10. And it's true, poisonous ones make it into the trade on a regular basis.

mr.reef24

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2009
USA
s704.photobucket.com
Well not those zoanthids...at least I don't think.

I believe you are referring to palytoxin, which is produced from a few species of corals, but it's mostly zoanthids in the Palythoa genus. However, there are also reports of Parazoanthus species producing it. And I believe that some of the organisms that produce it aren't related to zoanthids at all!

Either way, I'd avoid touching them if you have an open wound. Zoanthids are one of the cheapest and most-common corals on the market, with many stores offering frags starting at $5-10. And it's true, poisonous ones make it into the trade on a regular basis.
pretty much what he said

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Palytoxin is the second most deadliest toxin on the planet - botulinum being number one, Most ppl die by eating fish containing the toxin, a few from open wounds from zoa's and one from boiling a dag on zoa colony - vapors killed 'em.

Yet another good reason to run carbon 48 hours a week in coral tanks and use rubber gloves.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store