Need help with sand

warhead

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
Arcadia, CA
I wast thinking about it cause my tank has patched up holes from previous drillings that i want to cover.. I dont need to but tank would look so much better. Any black sand suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I use pool filter sand, i dont like a real deep base so i have about 100lb in my 230.
I do the same, pool filter sand is pretty affordable and looks just as good as the Caribsea sand I used to use at less than half the price.

If the aro gets scare his going to move all the sand ,,,n may be with all the sand movement your ammonia might go up

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Once sand has settled it doesn't move so easily. The Aro would have to freak out right on top of it and even then it wouldn't really get tossed up into the water column like when you first intro sand. I've personally kept Silver Aro's with a sand substrate and never had a problem with them tossing it or a problem with ammonia spikes and I've been using sand for at least 3 years now.

I wast thinking about it cause my tank has patched up holes from previous drillings that i want to cover.. I dont need to but tank would look so much better. Any black sand suggestions?

Only black sand I know of is Caribsea Taihitian Moon Sand and it's expensive using that stuff in a large tank, 20 pound bags go for about $19.

warhead

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
Arcadia, CA
I do the same, pool filter sand is pretty affordable and looks just as good as the Caribsea sand I used to use at less than half the price.

Once sand has settled it doesn't move so easily. The Aro would have to freak out right on top of it and even then it wouldn't really get tossed up into the water column like when you first intro sand. I've personally kept Silver Aro's with a sand substrate and never had a problem with them tossing it or a problem with ammonia spikes and I've been using sand for at least 3 years now.

Only black sand I know of is Caribsea Taihitian Moon Sand and it's expensive using that stuff in a large tank, 20 pound bags go for about $19.

Oh thanks man! Now im decided.

How do you propose i put the sand? Empty everything? Move my fishes and recycle the tank?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Oh thanks man! Now im decided.

How do you propose i put the sand? Empty everything? Move my fishes and recycle the tank?

I'm a bad one to ask as I take risks when it comes to stuff like that because I'm impatient like that, but I'll still tell you how I would, just take it with a grain of salt. I wouldn't empty the tank, just move the fish. Remove the old substrate and then rinse the sand several times in a bucket till the water more or less looks clear. Then I take the bucket and all and submerge it slowly so the water doesn't rush in and stir the sand unnecessarily. Then pour it slowly out keeping the bucket lip as close to the bottom as possible again so the sand doesn't stir too much. Then run the tank for an hour or two and replace the fish. Actually I've been lucky(knock on wood) and my tank never looks bad as I've seen others after adding sand. I've seen people wait days or longer for their tank to clear from the sand thrown into the water column. My tank usually gets crystal clear again within hours(again knock on wood).

warhead

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
Arcadia, CA
I'm a bad one to ask as I take risks when it comes to stuff like that because I'm impatient like that, but I'll still tell you how I would, just take it with a grain of salt. I wouldn't empty the tank, just move the fish. Remove the old substrate and then rinse the sand several times in a bucket till the water more or less looks clear. Then I take the bucket and all and submerge it slowly so the water doesn't rush in and stir the sand unnecessarily. Then pour it slowly out keeping the bucket lip as close to the bottom as possible again so the sand doesn't stir too much. Then run the tank for an hour or two and replace the fish. Actually I've been lucky(knock on wood) and my tank never looks bad as I've seen others after adding sand. I've seen people wait days or longer for their tank to clear from the sand thrown into the water column. My tank usually gets crystal clear again within hours(again knock on wood).
I feel impatient too. Im just glad i have an extra tank to place all of em. Ill follow what u just advised. Sounds good.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I feel impatient too. Im just glad i have an extra tank to place all of em. Ill follow what u just advised. Sounds good.

No problem, good luck to you and maybe post some pics when you get it done. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store