Does anybody pet their fish?

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
Does anybody pet their fish? I do, and its pretty interesting. They don't mind as long as I don't pet from tail to head.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I can pet my arowana, Drogo. He only really tolerates it if he's about to get fed and wants something from me. If he's fat and happy, he swims to the bottom to avoid me. The bugger knows that he has to put up with my shenanigans to get what he wants sometimes. :lol2:

I've succeeded in touching my GATF at times, but that makes me nervous. When he was little and I was in the tank, I could move him by hand if I had to. Since he's started getting bigger though, he's getting frighteningly confident and has begun to challenge me. Recently I was trying to shoo him away from some rocks that I was trying to place that he insisted on being near, but he wouldn't move. So, I gently brushed him to the side. He proceeded to turn back to me and fin up and display at my hand quite aggressively.

I let him stay near the rocks.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I pet my flower horn and my oscar

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I pet my Fahaka puffer, kind of. He is young and only about 6". I want him to let me pet him but not be aggressive. I don't hand feed him becuase I am afraid he will look at my hands as a food source. That could mean lost fingertips or chunks of my hide when cleaning the tank. I used to have a Jardini that I could pet and hand feed. He would bite fingers when feeding. I am trying to get my Leichardti relaxed enough to pet. I need to start working on my Irwini and Giraffe cats. I don't really trust my bichirs since they are such pea brains.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Has anyone heard that petting can compromise the immune system of the fish since it removes some of the slimecoat. Just curious not trying to troll honest

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
I pet my rays, my aro, my fahaka would most likely take the tip of my finger off she's about 11" .........never had any slime coat problems

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
I can pet my arowana, Drogo. He only really tolerates it if he's about to get fed and wants something from me. If he's fat and happy, he swims to the bottom to avoid me. The bugger knows that he has to put up with my shenanigans to get what he wants sometimes. :lol2:

I've succeeded in touching my GATF at times, but that makes me nervous. When he was little and I was in the tank, I could move him by hand if I had to. Since he's started getting bigger though, he's getting frighteningly confident and has begun to challenge me. Recently I was trying to shoo him away from some rocks that I was trying to place that he insisted on being near, but he wouldn't move. So, I gently brushed him to the side. He proceeded to turn back to me and fin up and display at my hand quite aggressively.

I let him stay near the rocks.
I pet my Fahaka puffer, kind of. He is young and only about 6". I want him to let me pet him but not be aggressive. I don't hand feed him becuase I am afraid he will look at my hands as a food source. That could mean lost fingertips or chunks of my hide when cleaning the tank. I used to have a Jardini that I could pet and hand feed. He would bite fingers when feeding. I am trying to get my Leichardti relaxed enough to pet. I need to start working on my Irwini and Giraffe cats. I don't really trust my bichirs since they are such pea brains.
I always stayed away from petting anything other than cichlids. When I was a kid I petted a red tail barracuda and I barely got away with my fingers. My bichirs are too scared to allow me to touch.
Has anyone heard that petting can compromise the immune system of the fish since it removes some of the slimecoat. Just curious not trying to troll honest

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I never heard of it. I've been doing that with fish I can trust for quite a while now, and I never had much troubles.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
My red tail catfish will pet me haha every time I put my hand in he immediately rubs his head against my fingers I've had him since July he is like 10-12 inches or so I absolutely love him haha he doesn't mind me petting him at all he actually likes it and he will also nibble at my fingertips when I don't feed him right away or when I am done feeding him he will nibble at my fingertips playfully begging for more haha! Amazing the relationships you can build with fish he won't budge for any one else it seems as though he knows i am his owner or care taker

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store