Non Monster Tank... visually cool small fish?

perok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2012
pompano beach FL
Ok, sorry about the non-monster discussion. That said.

I have a planted 36, that I am looking to stock with something cool. This is a "living room" type family tank, and though I currently have a freshwater barracuda (Acestrorhynchus falcatus) in there, he will be moving to a bigger tank as soon as he is big enough to not get eaten by his cousins.

I would like something really visually stunning with lots of color in the fish-

1) I tried to make a guppy tank once, but the fin maintenance was a hassle, it seemed they always had some sort of rot and I'm not going to become a breeder and separate them etc.
2) Betta's are cool to look at, but I probably can't get away with more than 2 or 3 before they start picking themselves apart. Which is a shame, because I love the coloration, low maintenance and lazy swimming habits.
3) I gave apistogramma's a shot before, but I coudn't seem to keep them alive long. Maybe there is some parameters out of the norm, because everything else seems to live in the tanks where they didn't do so well.
4) Not a fan of rams, they are just too common.

Any other idea's. I don't mind spending some money on rarer fish. - and I don't mind predatory fish, as long as they are small.

any thoughts?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I know u said ur not a fan of rams but have u seen german blue rams? If not definitely take a look they would be perfect for ur tank

Sent from my SGPT12 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
I don't know if your 36g could handle exodons... dwarf puffers, axolotl also is a nice critter, not a fish though but fully aquatic.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
I know u said ur not a fan of rams but have u seen german blue rams? If not definitely take a look they would be perfect for ur tank

Sent from my SGPT12 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
they're gonna tear apart the corys...

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
If you get celestial pearl danios you will never see them. Theyre beautiful but they are super shy. Might look at kilifish and badis.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
maybe belonexa would work

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store