Help for my two albino channel cats !!!

sonicboom81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
United Kingdom
I have two 10" albino channel catfish. Unfortunately they were sold to me when I was younger and didn't know better, and they've been living in a 120L tank for 13 years, where they have been getting looked after by my family while I've been away from home. I know this isn't going to go down well, and I do feel bad... they've not been getting a proper diet, and of course are in this too small tank. I now realise that they could or could have grown to 18"+ easily, if not 2'+.

I have two options:

One is to get a 250L tank to house my two 10" cats, and due to their age (13 years) and size, even with proper care from now on, they might not grow much bigger, and certainly not to the 2' that others can.

Two is to attempt to find them a new home elsewhere, such as a pond or 100+ gal tank.

Unfortunately, despite the new tank I have in mind being 2 times the volume (surface area 18.8" x 40"), I'm unable to get a larger tank than that.

I'm prepared that if I put them in this new tank and they start considerably growing again, I'd need to find them a new home.

I'm just after some advice on what I should do. I realise the size of tank needed for large catfish normally, but I want to know if my 10" cats are likely to grow more at their age (in a bigger tank on a proper diet), or if the 120L/55UK gal tank would be fine for them (at lease just now)?

Thanks

supergourami

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
ontario
highly unlikely they will grow anymore in my opinion that ship has sailed and they will stay 10 inches for the rest of there days.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Honestly - I would enjoy them as they are - Not everybody can actually keep them alive / healthy - so good on you for doing that part of it.

sonicboom81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
United Kingdom
I feel right guilty that they wont get to be like their big bros out there, but I want to do what's for the best for them now. Is a 250L tank going to be okay for them?

When I was a kid the same shop sold me two sturgeon :( This was before the days of the internet, where I was going by a "reputable" dealer's advice (so the UK aquarium magazine listed him as). The sturgeon didn't make it :/ When he sold me the catfish, he told me they'd be fine with my goldfish... obviously not...

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
highly unlikely they will grow anymore in my opinion that ship has sailed and they will stay 10 inches for the rest of there days.
Not true they wont grow...i rescued a 9yr old channel from a 46gal that was under 12". Hes been in my 1700 pool for about 6months and is now pushing 24" :) . I was extremly surprised myself, but its good to know fish can come back after extreme circumstances.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Oh dear :/ Do you want to rescue two more? :)
id be happy to my friend, but im far on the other side of the pond lol.....any kind of "upgrade" you can give them is better than not trying so just do ur best with what u can, thats all that matters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sonicboom81

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2013
United Kingdom
The new tank will be 40 x 18.8 x 29" 66US gallon. A lot of the volume increase is in height not width. It's about 55% more surface area compared to my old tank.

At what size, if they grow, do I find them a pond or super tank? They are 10" and haven't grown over the last two years. I feel if they get fat and 14" then they'll be too big for my 66Gal...?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store