Oscar not liking new tank mate

evox53187

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
il
I just put a heckelii fish in with my oscar in a 125 gallon tank. Doesnt really seem the Oscar likes him. Already chasing him. Should I take him out or you think he will get used to him. ..
Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Sounds normal. If there is no physical harm just let them try to work it out.

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
I just put a heckelii fish in with my oscar in a 125 gallon tank. Doesnt really seem the Oscar likes him. Already chasing him. Should I take him out or you think he will get used to him. ..
Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
When I add fish to a tank with a already established cichlid I take current fish out rearrange decor and put new fish in let it get used to tank then add current fish back in

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I'm willing to bet it won't work. heckelii don't really stand up to something like an oscar. they'll stand up to different geo species.
as long as it flees the O will chase. it's fun.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Almost all cichlids are territorial, and if the oscaris the lone cichlid in the tank, it feels it owns the entire tank, and will attempt to drive out any other newly added cichlid. (especially if the tank is small, under 300 gallons)
That's why posters above are suggesting to rearrange the tank, as it confuses the territorial linein the oscars sense of place.
The heclelli being the new kid, is at a distinct disadvantage.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I tried putting a little 3 inch oscar in an established tank of larger geos, with territories, including 2 big heckelii and all he did was chase everybody. no contact, but it was constant, nobody else could settle anywhere, and he was the smallest fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store