whats more imporant? tank volume vs tank dimensions

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
i know for a lot of larger fish species you need a length sufficient for swimming and a width that allows ample space for turning, but does the amount of water matter? (i know concentration of waste takes longer to increase in larger volumes...)

i worked with a 72"Lx30"Wx18"H aquarium and i want one for myself now. does the larger than average footprint for this volume of water change the potential i have for stocking the tank?

and if the water volume does matter can it be remedied with the use of a larger sump?

i hope you can make sense of what i'm asking haha

anibalvti

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2012
Dominican Republic
Footprint for me , and yes you always can add more volume w a larger sump
Example u said u want a 72*30*18=118gallons
U can have a big fish a 2 footer but in 60*18*42=137gallons no for
Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; An example to consider can be the difference between a 20 gallon long tank and a 29 gallon. Both fit on the same size stand but I prefer the larger volume tank. Within in the limits of affordability, available space, structure to handle the weight, ability to get it thru doors and up stairs and such things, I will chose the larger volume tank over fotprint. You can still add a sump for more effective volume.
I have never regretted having a larger tank except when they break and leak all over or I have to move one.
Good luck

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
it's not really an either/or situation. both the dimensions and volume are related and changing one will change the other.
the fish that are kept will make a difference in the answer as well. a large number of smaller fish would benefit from a larger volume of water created by a large sump more than a single fish that is too large for its tank. so if you are going with small fish, worry more about the volume, if going with large fish worry more about the dimensions.

I wouldn't consider 72"Lx30"Wx18"H larger than average footprint for this volume of water, my largest tank is 72"x30"x27". that's quite a bit more volume in the same footprint, and I've seen acrylic tanks that are even higher.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
The answer is--IT DEPENDS!

Some fish don't move that much but produce a ton of waste, and for those guys volume would be more important than footprint. Some catfish and ambush predators would fit into this category.

On the flip side, some fish need a ton of space to move around, but might not be that huge (biologically) themselves. Uh, some other catfish come to mind.

Adding a larger sump increases the water volume of your whole system. So yes, if you need more water volume, adding a large sump will help.

Generally I tend to think wider footprints are more important overall, and I dig the dimensions of the tank you want. In my experience MOST (but not all) fish make much more use of the horizontal than vertical space.

cephalofoil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2013
landlocked.
anibalvti - when i calculate the volume i get 168.31 US gallons...

thanks for the input guys, would an asian arowana (i'm in canada) or any species of Hydrolycus be able to fit in a tank of this size for life? i wanna have a large showcase fish along with maybe a medium sized schooling fish like silver dollars or something.

if anyone is curious, i was working with two of these tanks plumbed to the same sump/foam fractionator (it was a marine set up). it was filled with a few fish, some soft coral and two juvenile catsharks. everything thrived except for the 5 Assessor flavissimus, which i was trying to breed. oh well. the best part was the nitrates never went above 4 ppm between water changes. it was amazing.

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
Something to think about with short tanks is how much of that volume is taken up by the gravel and the space at the top. I had a 40 gal breeder tank that is only 17 inches tall. but a lot of the volume was taken up by the under gravel filter, gravel, and the air at the top. I upgraded to a 65 gallon tank that is 24 inches tall with the same foot print. It has twice the usable volume for the fish because the amount of space taken up at the bottom and top of the tank did not change. Just something to think about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store