Multiple Silver Question

sunvalley aquarist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2009
USA
Hi everyone,

I've kept Silvers over the years, but only one at a time.
I currently have a 240 gallon tank. I've heard that if you plan on keeping more than one, a minimum of 3 is best to avoid fighting.
If that is true, what is the recommended minimum, and is my tank large enough to support that population?

Please advise,

Thank you,

Pat

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Pat,
Tank size is a matter of opinion to an extent but from my experience I think you need a larger tank for them. I've had a 30" in a 750 and added a slightly smaller silver and they got along very well. I've also purchased 3 6-8" silvers and placed them all in the 750 (after I gave away the large aros) and they also did fine. It just depends on the individual fish involved as well as the tank size. I've heard of silvers fighting but have never experienced it firsthand.

Eddie_87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2013
Malaysia
IMHO, stick to one of those beauties if you're going for 240g.. For a growout tank, might be viable to house a school (6 or more to disperse aggression), but eventually, u'll need a bigger tank.. ~I learned it the hard way~

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Have a look at bderick's video of his 450g if you want to get an idea of tank size for multiple silvers/Osteoglossum. I'm sure he will be the first to say his tank is barely enough, and I believe he has something bigger in the pipeline?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store