Fx5 micro bubbles then shutdown

NDsuperduty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2007
tx
I know the micro bubble issue has been discussed numerous times but I am wondering if anyone has ever had their filter stop working or shut off because of them? I cleaned my filter about 1.5 weeks ago and while doing so I changed up the media setup. I put all new sponge pads around the outer rings. I have 3 small bags of Purigen in the top tray, the ceramic cylinders in the filter, and in the bottle I added 2 blue filter pads and 1 white pad. everything was good for about a week and then I started seeing the micro bubbles. After researching this issue I assume the problem is the filter pads I added to the bottom tray but I did not have time to mess with the filter until this weekend. The flow still seemed good, and the bubbles don't hurt anything in the tank so I just let it run. This morning I do a quick check on the tank before leaving for work and I notice there are just a few slow bubbles dribbling out of the pipe and there is no water flow at all. I unplugged the Fx5 to prevent any damage but Im wondering if anyone has had this issue with the flow stoppage?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I know the micro bubble issue has been discussed numerous times but I am wondering if anyone has ever had their filter stop working or shut off because of them? I cleaned my filter about 1.5 weeks ago and while doing so I changed up the media setup. I put all new sponge pads around the outer rings. I have 3 small bags of Purigen in the top tray, the ceramic cylinders in the filter, and in the bottle I added 2 blue filter pads and 1 white pad. everything was good for about a week and then I started seeing the micro bubbles. After researching this issue I assume the problem is the filter pads I added to the bottom tray but I did not have time to mess with the filter until this weekend. The flow still seemed good, and the bubbles don't hurt anything in the tank so I just let it run. This morning I do a quick check on the tank before leaving for work and I notice there are just a few slow bubbles dribbling out of the pipe and there is no water flow at all. I unplugged the Fx5 to prevent any damage but Im wondering if anyone has had this issue with the flow stoppage?

My friend the fx5 has a built in micro chip that shuts the unit down every 24 hours to vent the gas aka burp. This way with little to no air in the system it runs more efficiently. It shuts down for few minutes then starts back up and when this occurs you will see air coming out of the outake.

Hope this helps

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

NDsuperduty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2007
tx
I am aware of this. The current 24hr shutdown time for my filter is around 9-10pm. I checked it about 2 hours ago at 8-9am and it was down so its not that.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
stop using filter pads especially the fluval ones made for this filter they clog too easily and it causes air to get trapped, because not enough water is flowing over impeller

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
I agree take the filter pads out!

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I am aware of this. The current 24hr shutdown time for my filter is around 9-10pm. I checked it about 2 hours ago at 8-9am and it was down so its not that.
Its not exactly 24 hours..... but ok. I guess your impeller load was detected to high and your canister shut off to prevent damage/overheating?

And there's a ton of micro bubble polishing pad threads on here........ if you don't change them every few days to a week its obviously obvious your going to get MB!

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

NDsuperduty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2007
tx
It had to have been the pads. I had three pads in the bottom section which are about 3/4-1" thick each when new. When I took the everything apart I saw the pads had been suctioned together into one connected pancake like piece that was maybe the thickness of one of the pads when I put them in. Reworked the media and seems to be working fine. We will see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DevonCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2011
Devon, Alberta
I just went through this same thing. Unplugged it, did a clean out of the filter pads I had installed and whenI plugged it back in and the FX5 did its purge there were no micro bubbles any more. I probably went a little long in between maintenance cycles on the actual filter but this was the first time in about 2.5 years since its first install that I had these micro bubbles.

diamondking

Feeder Fish
Dec 12, 2019
My friend the fx5 has a built in micro chip that shuts the unit down every 24 hours to vent the gas aka burp. This way with little to no air in the system it runs more efficiently. It shuts down for few minutes then starts back up and when this occurs you will see air coming out of the outake.

Hope this helps

the answer is to unclip your intake air hose from the top edge---bend more ribbed tube up and into your tank under the water line---re attach clips. making sure ribbed hose is 1 in under water---re attach intake screen so fish can't swim up---possible having to cut tube shorter with a sharp knife from the kitchen. ---big knife ribbed works best. than reattach. turn on. no more micro bubbles.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store