Aponogeton madagascariensis tips?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Aka Madagascar lace plant. As you all know I'm fairly new to the "planted" aspect of aquaria, but yesterday evening my lfs called me to inform they just got one in stock. Its pretty small and has a few 1"ish healthy leaves. I've done my research but a lot of it is conflicting so I'm ASKING experienced lace keepers some advice!

1. Some say low temps, some say doesn't matter.
2. Some say high light, some say low light (high light causes algae on the plant)
3. Some say plant the bulb fully into the sub some say halfway.
4. Some say EI dosing, some say don't bother.

And the list goes on....

My tank is as follows:
High light 6000k-7000k
Co2 injection via 5lbs bottle (1.5bps) for 6 1/2 hours
Bubbler kicks on once lights kick off
Weekly 50% wc w/comprehensive dose
7 hour light cycle
40b tank
4" juvy piranha, bamboo/ghost shrimp, a huge snail, breeding guppies
Ac110 w/ sponge and extra Bio, 750gph circulator, 150gph DIY co2 reactor
Substrate is flourite topped with PFS
Water is hard, tank is cycled and all plants are healthy.
Temp is 79° constant

I know its a hard to keep plant and I'm new to planted setups but thus far I've followed the book and my general knowledge of aquariums seems to be paying off so please any and all advice would be /\/\onsterous of you :D

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Nice Madagascar Lace, it will be even prettier as it grows.

I had 3 gorgeous large ones in my Paretroplus Maculatus grow out tank for about 6 months. I thought since they're both from Madagascar it would be a great match... It grew slowly and I trimmed the leaves when any parts turned brown and made sure detrius didn't settle on the leaves. Temp 79°, ph 7.4, gh/kh 7/8. Also made sure my power head didn't blow directly towards these plants. They did really well with low tank lighting (dbp solarmax he) and indirect sunlight

Then one day, I came home and the plants were completely decimated. Apparently my Maculatus were bored. They even shredded the bulbs. What an awful mess :-( The one bulb I was able to salvage is now very slowly bouncing back in another tank.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Nice Madagascar Lace, it will be even prettier as it grows.

I had 3 gorgeous large ones in my Paretroplus Maculatus grow out tank for about 6 months. I thought since they're both from Madagascar it would be a great match... It grew slowly and I trimmed the leaves when any parts turned brown and made sure detrius didn't settle on the leaves. Temp 79°, ph 7.4, gh/kh 7/8. Also made sure my power head didn't blow directly towards these plants. They did really well with low tank lighting (dbp solarmax he) and indirect sunlight

Then one day, I came home and the plants were completely decimated. Apparently my Maculatus were bored. They even shredded the bulbs. What an awful mess :-( The one bulb I was able to salvage is now very slowly bouncing back in another tank.

Man that's rough! I turned my temp down to 76.5° but I have my ph blasting it cuz I heard it loves flow plus high light. There's so many conflicting info on this species....!

Did you bury the bulb all the way in the sub?

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I've always liked this plant as well, but came across the same problem as you of not being 100% sure of info + the potential size for one of my tanks..

But will look forward to seeing what works for this plant...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I've always liked this plant as well, but came across the same problem as you of not being 100% sure of info + the potential size for one of my tanks..

But will look forward to seeing what works for this plant...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
As do I! Its pretty small now but the last 2 days its grown 2 leaves. Didn't take long to get settled in! I just wanted a unique plant as a centerpiece and I love how the leaves are!

No, it was buried about 2/3 under sub.

Mines about 3/4 under sub but I heard as long as the rizhome isn't burried its good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store