Schooling fish?

JimmyJBBPJMT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
Hi all! I've got a 55 gal tank I'm considering filling up with 75-100 neon tetras but haven't decided on them yet. I really want something that's at least that bright but as easy to breed as a platy and one that will also school very well. Any fish that meet 2 of 3 or even all three of these characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
Get a bunch of colombian tetras, those are nice. How bout a bunch of fire mouths. A variety of african cichlids would be nice. If you must though, 100 tetras would be cute I guess;)

My Xbox gamer tag: xXclusive808x. Run & gun baby!

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
You could pick up fancier danio's like purple passion or celestial pearl's.

JimmyJBBPJMT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2013
Illinois
That's the problem I'm running into. Everything I find that schools even a little is hard to breed. I'm considering just going with platys but I like the idea of lots of smaller fish

Etan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2011
CA
You could pick up fancier danio's like purple passion or celestial pearl's.
Celestial Pearl Danio's are extremely shy and like to have a heavily planted tank. If you have 20 of them in a tank you'll probably never see more than 3 or 4 at a time. They are beautiful fish though.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ they seem to be more shy in small groups (10 or less), so IF you had say a hundred in a heavily planted tank, you'd see them out quite often and actually looks really nice...

Seen it at a store display where they had the main school of 100+ Celetial Pearl Danios with some other small top dwelling fish... And you could see the danios dashing around in groups

floydlevi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2012
Florida
Emperor tetra are pretty cool. I had a couple that I thought was going to breed soon but I think my carpintis got jealous of the extra attention I was giving them so she ate them.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DevonCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2011
Devon, Alberta
My son picked out Rummynose tetras for a 65g that I set up for him. They truly are great schooling fish, we have 20 of them and they are amazing to watch in action. I'm thinking of adding another 10 soon as well. Maybe a bunch of corys for the bottom of the tank too. I wouldn't call it schooling but you get enough of them on the bottom and it's quite the thing to see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store