Why I don't frequent local (or chain) fish stores

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I buy most of my fish stuff off of the internet. I do it because of price and also because I hate shopping for anything besides food. :drool:
I went into a local shop today because I had been hearing good stuff about them, but mainly because I needed to buy something. I could have gone to WalMart and bought the same brand item for less but figured I would give my money to a local shop. Plus I wanted to check them out.

The store was very clean and well organized. No dead fish but there was a very large Pleco in with the goldfish that had a large head wound. I hope it was there to recover from some other tank mates. In one of their tank they had about 10 each of SA Red Tail Cats as well as Asian RTC. All of them about 3-4 inches and in good health. I can't see how there are enough people in all of Kansas City that could house all of these guys when they get some size to them. This was problem one I had.

As I was looking at the product I came to buy a young lady came and asked if she could help me. I asked if I bought one of the RTC could I trade it in when it gor to 3 feet. She said "Of course not, we could never take a fish like that". The conversation continued and she told me they have LOTS of customers with 2500 gallon aquariums. Lots. She repeated the gallonage, so she didn't mis-speak.

So fellow fish keeper. How many of you have 2500 gallon aquariums? How many of you have 2500 gallons OF aquariums? How many of you even know someone with 2500 gallons of aquariums? Bad information like this is why I stay away from these places.
Now I will get off of my soapbox.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
I agree Rodger. It sucks seeing fish for sale that we know that 80% of people can't house properly. Unfortunately, there in it to make money, not for morals. I'm lucky enough that around me I don't really see too many rtc's for sale. I suppose there's not enough of a demand for them in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I know I am probably going to get drilled for this, and although I do agree with your line of thinking in theory, I feel to many people on this site and "advanced aquarist" do not look at it from the other side. Think about your statement "i buy most of my stuff online" this alone makes it very hard for a LFS to not only survive but thrive with stock, overhead rent etc. Next thing up is your indictment of the store carrying baby red tail cats, again taking the point of a retail establishment ,supply and demand, if this is a fish they sell a lot of and are requested they need to carry them, otherwise there potential clients would go elsewhere and not only for there red tails but also tanks food supplies etc. The next point I would like to make in regards to this, is that if these lfs do not survive, our hobby will not survive! The avg aquarist does not start by going on MFK and buying a 500 gallon tank. They start with a ten gallon and some guppies because the LFS in town is cool. I know thats how I started and I am sure a lot of you have to.. now as my hobby advanced and my means advanced my hobby grew. But without the LFS and the avg joe with his 55 the industry dies, the importers stop importing, the companies stop making new product, and all of us "advanced hobbyist' grow old and die!!! I do agree that I would love if stores employees were more educated but you are speaking of generally minimum wage earners so beggars can not be choosers.

I am in my 30's and the first red tail cat I saw was a 2 footer in Robins Pet Store in Hackensack NJ, that fish was there for years, this was before anyone could get baby red tails any time for a dime a dozen. That fish fascinated me and created my love for the hobby. And in my teens i saved up and bought a baby redtail, i think it cost me 50 bucks at the time... I was unprepared for his growth and mess and all so he died prematurely but what that did was make me figure out what i did wrong.. and my hobby grew......

If you want to get on a soap box grab all the guys trying to get 30 bucks for there used 20 and 30 gallon tanks and have them donate them to a needy kid and let there hobby grow!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I've stopped complaining personally, after seeing so many shops over here go under and replaced by pharmacy's or restaurants etc...

For example, for the last few years theres only ever been 1 store that always had fire eels, birchirs and a few other large oddballs from Asia, but now that shop went under for reason, even though it always seemed to be packed...

Another store that used to sell 1litre bottles of Purigen and had really competitive prices on customs tanks went under as well... and now i can't find purigen in anything other than really small bottles...

And thats just two of the many i've seen gone down in the last 2 years... so its a sad thought to think what Fish Street will look like in a year from now, since at the rate its going, it may soon need to be re-named pharmacy street like the rest of Hong Kong...

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I know I am probably going to get drilled for this, and although I do agree with your line of thinking in theory, I feel to many people on this site and "advanced aquarist" do not look at it from the other side. Think about your statement "i buy most of my stuff online" this alone makes it very hard for a LFS to not only survive but thrive with stock, overhead rent etc. Next thing up is your indictment of the store carrying baby red tail cats, again taking the point of a retail establishment ,supply and demand, if this is a fish they sell a lot of and are requested they need to carry them, otherwise there potential clients would go elsewhere and not only for there red tails but also tanks food supplies etc. The next point I would like to make in regards to this, is that if these lfs do not survive, our hobby will not survive! The avg aquarist does not start by going on MFK and buying a 500 gallon tank. They start with a ten gallon and some guppies because the LFS in town is cool. I know thats how I started and I am sure a lot of you have to.. now as my hobby advanced and my means advanced my hobby grew. But without the LFS and the avg joe with his 55 the industry dies, the importers stop importing, the companies stop making new product, and all of us "advanced hobbyist' grow old and die!!! I do agree that I would love if stores employees were more educated but you are speaking of generally minimum wage earners so beggars can not be choosers.

I am in my 30's and the first red tail cat I saw was a 2 footer in Robins Pet Store in Hackensack NJ, that fish was there for years, this was before anyone could get baby red tails any time for a dime a dozen. That fish fascinated me and created my love for the hobby. And in my teens i saved up and bought a baby redtail, i think it cost me 50 bucks at the time... I was unprepared for his growth and mess and all so he died prematurely but what that did was make me figure out what i did wrong.. and my hobby grew......

If you want to get on a soap box grab all the guys trying to get 30 bucks for there used 20 and 30 gallon tanks and have them donate them to a needy kid and let there hobby grow!
+1 Couldn't of said it better

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Strollo, I am one of those who sets kids up and teaches them. It costs me nothing. This was the assistant mgr of the store. I heard her being refered to as their saltwater expert also. The blatant lie about 2500 gal tanks is what really set me off. I love my soapbox. It does get wobbly sometimes.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Strollo, I am one of those who sets kids up and teaches them. It costs me nothing. This was the assistant mgr of the store. I heard her being refered to as their saltwater expert also. The blatant lie about 2500 gal tanks is what really set me off. I love my soapbox. It does get wobbly sometimes.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I think you were addressing me... don't get me mixed up with that crazy datnoid guy!!! lol

It can be frustrating but you got to look from both sides, obviously i buy a lot online do to cost, but if i can get locally for similar price I do, also from frequenting my lfs i have created a relationship that allows for some better pricing. if there is a specific fish I want i give them first shot, I tell them what I want how much I am willing to pay and see what they can do... It let's me both support local commerce as well as get the pricing i prefer!

Keep setting those kids up!

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ i can definitely relate there... Having a good relationship goes a long way... And the knowledge you randomly can pick up from those that are actually knowledgeable is a great bonus...

I mean other than MFK, if it wasnt for some of the store owners i know, i wouldnt have got into planted tanks, nor would the tanks be as healthy as they are...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Please don't bash your LFSs and support them. Advanced hobbyists are already buying from the internet and LFSs aren't making money on supplies. Many independent LFSs are going under and soon you can find only PetsMark and PetCo selling only unexciting common fish. You need independents to bring in rare and uncommon species, and draw young people into the hobby. Buying fish from the internet or auctions isn't the same, as you can't see the fish in display, pick out the individuals you want, and talk to experienced shop managers. Good LFSs will hire only knowledgeable staff, only Petsmark and Petco hire fool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store