Food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Food and any other things we love pamper our fishes with. Well, not me, before anybody calls the FPS (Fish Protection Service) I'd like to share my actions/methods/ethics or lack there of, with MY fishes.

I really just want to talk about food, but just to add more insight into me and my fishes...
1. I don't add any special solution to de-chlorinate my water; I don't add any special oxygen inside my house
2. I don't feed name brand or 'expensive' food, Hikari & NLS; I don't eat caviar, I do love eating Cocoa Blast and drinking Dr. Thunder
3. I don't keep 1-2 fishes in a 100 gal tank; I don't live in a 2 story mansion, however I do share a room with my sis and her family of 7 kids, lol we're overstocked.
4. I do change my fish water 2-3 times a week; I do shower everyday...really Im serious.

Okay food, waaaaaayy back when I first started the hobby, I was sold on Hikari, Bio Gold + and all that higher end stuff. It makes little to NO difference depending which method you side with. I have friends who take nutritional shakes and protein stuff and work out everyday...and I have a better physique than they do without all of that stuff. My fishes from the past don't look any better than the ones I have now. Quality and Price of food has NO difference in looks. I've seen wealthy people with tore up dried natural hair, and people in the ghetto with nice shiny 'commercial' like hair.

Sometimes people can only see and understand if there's real visual examples of what Im talking about. Some examples of humans who lived on pure oxygen and Im sure the bestest freshest prepared food:
michael-jackson-mugshot_0.jpgpolls_joan_rivers_052007_060833_1108_743707_answer_2_xlarge.jpegpic_related_090313_SM_Miley-Cyrus-and-Ugly-Sex.jpg

A girl in third world, Im sure was malnourished too
GirlGreeneyes.jpg

michael-jackson-mugshot_0.jpg

polls_joan_rivers_052007_060833_1108_743707_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

pic_related_090313_SM_Miley-Cyrus-and-Ugly-Sex.jpg

GirlGreeneyes.jpg

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
My fishes now...current being fed food I get from the 99 cents store...and $3.99 Blood worms (not the Hikari with added vitamin)

IMG_1925.JPGIMG_1935.JPGIMG_2060.JPGIMG_2134.JPGIMG_2586.JPGIMG_2718.JPGIMG_2727.JPGIMG_2736.JPGIMG_2748.JPGIMG_2902.JPGIMG_2908.JPGIMG_3031.JPG

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

IMG_2727.JPG

IMG_2736.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Natural biology of humans can't be compared equivically to fish biology. What facts to support that the people you pictured above any better/worse than the others? Just because your rich doesn't mean you eat like you should and just because your in a thrid world country doesn't mean you are malnourished. Your assumptions here are not supporting this discussion.

In your argument of food makes no difference in fish, what facts do you have to support this? I've seen a nearly overnight transformation by switching to a quality pellet. Not to mention the long term health benefits of not feeding fish "cheeseburgers" every day.

I would contend that most fish keepers would never notice much of a difference between similar brands as the results are more long term than they are short term. But... implying that "trout chow" would produce the same results as a quality food under the exact same circumstances couldn't be farther from the truth, IMO.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Let's compare blood work before you make comparisons about physique and health lol. I always find it interesting that folks who don't focus on health and nutrition always dismiss those that do, as a waste of time. I have blood work and a 30lb transformation to "prove" otherwise.

Health is WAY more than skin deep. You are what you eat.

The better the diet, the better the health in any living creature. Notice I didn't say "more expensive" diet. I said better.

Choice is yours how you get there. I get my food shipped free so no gas money spent either.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wrightt3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2013
England, United Kingdom
I disagree with one and three. Chlorine is harmful to fish. it's as simple as that. Your oxygen analogy is pointless because there is no such thing as 'special oxygen' and regular oxygen isn't harmful anyway. Perhaps you have a low amount of chlorine in your tap which is why you are getting away with it? As for 3, what fish are we talking about here? 1 or 2 neons would be quite happy in a 100 gallon but 2 jaguars would be fully if not overstocked. I'd imagine you're allowed out of your house from time to time too aren't you?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
How long have you been keeping fish? Chlorine poisoning may take a long time to build up in some hardier fish. Also I'll post an example of the difference between food w/ added nutes and normal bulk flake

1st pic is after being on hikari for a week, second is right after I got em, notice that there is NO orange on the fins at all, while orange and a bit of blue are showing up after just one week. If I was home I'd do a month or so later comparison, because their colors are even better now

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1380824647005.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1380824707020.jpg

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Not sure why you would post the last picture, the "third world girl", as an example of looking good despite harsh conditions. She is from Afghanistan, and was approximately 12 when the picture was taken. This is what she looked like at age 28-30 (she is unsure her exact age) back in 2002:

Sharbat.jpg

Doesn't really support your argument, but then again if you cherry pick your examples and try to slip by people who don't know the facts, you can 'prove' anything.

Sharbat.jpg

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Here's a pic of my heckellis now, after being on Hikari for a month. The color is undeniably better. And what's a few bucks anyway? The bulk brand that's available to me isn't much better of a deal then my 10$ bags of hikari sinkers and floaters that last me a month

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1380836005071.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store