Lighting a 125 Gallon?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I'm looking for a light fixture to plant a 125 Gallon tank, 72x18x24. I want to grow Vallisneria, Anubias, Echinodoris, Java Fern. Aquatic Life 72" T5HO fixture has 6 or 8 lights. That's for Saltwater, right? I don't need 6 lights for this do I? Is there a T8 fixture that would work? CF? LED maybe?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Looking around a little more...here's what I really want. I'd like a programmable LED fixture that has enough 6500K light to put me in Medium PAR light range, and also a strip or two of lights that are ideal for showing fish colors, too. That way I can run the "grow light" strips for 6 hours a day, and the other lights for the remaining 6-8 hours a day. Daytime when I'm not home, the grow lights are growing plants. Afternoon and night, they shut off and the display lights come so I can have best light for looking at fish. All of this programmable. How much would that cost me?

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Depends of you're good at DIYing or not. An LED setup like that just bought from the store would be at a minimun 500 bucks.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Current USA and Finnex are both coming out with new planted tank led lights really soon.

Current is also releasing a Ramp timer pro that would definitely be worth considering. http://www.current-usa.com/product-sneak-peek

There's also http://www.buildmyled.com

Each have great customer service and prices won't break the bank. I have the Current Sat+ on my low tech 110. Hope this helps

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
UPS just delivered my Finnex Ray 2's today. Yep--they're brighter...:). So I put the 25 watt T8's that came with the tank in a closet, set the timer for 9 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
Ragin_cajun, I was wondering if you could give a bit more information on what you got for your 125g (which Finnex Ray II, length, how many, etc.), and maybe a bit of a product review?

I have two 125g tanks that I need lights for, and the Finnex is one of my frontrunners.

lowe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2012
Midwest
21ljubs.jpg

Here's a photo of the Finnex RAY2DS on a 120g. For color I would go with the Finnex MonsterRAY.

21ljubs.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store