Arowana to small for prdetor tank

Darthvader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
Hi,

I have a 5 month old Silver Arowana. It is currently in a smallish tank with a couple of eels and louches.

I have a bigger tank with predetory fish like two oscars, a Clown Knife Fish a tire Track eel etc. I wanted to transfere the Arowana to that tank because I thought its large enough but the Oscar imediately attacked it and I removed it out of fear that it may be killed. :(The Oscar is about 25cm long and the Arowana 20cm. Still a young one.
How big do you guys suggest must the Arowana be before I put it back with the Oscar etc. Incidently, I have two Blue Texas's also in that tank and they are about 13cm long but the Oscar and Knife ignor them generally. They are in the tank since the beginnig and may be used to each other?

Thanks for great forum. I awaits your replies.

Regards,

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
How bigs the pred tank ?
if it was me id let the aro get to at least 15" and a but thicker set before trying it again

Darthvader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
The pred tank is 55gal.
How long will it take to grow to 15" do you think. I am feeding it mealworms and bloodworms. It did't like arowana pellets.

Thanks for response.

regards

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
The pred tank is 55gal.
How long will it take to grow to 15" do you think. I am feeding it mealworms and bloodworms. It did't like arowana pellets.

Thanks for response.

regards
A 55g is much, much too small for all those fish to live together in, especially considering the oscar is already pushing a foot long.

EDIT: a 55g is much too small for any of the fish you have to live in by themselves as well :(

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
+1 your about 185 gallons off what you need
Your fighting wont ever stop in a tank that size plus your aro will have a hard time turning let alone growing in a 55 , and upgrade is needed Vader asap

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
+1 your about 185 gallons off what you need
... at the moment to temporarily house your stock. You're looking at around double that to house the silver for life.

I agree that 15" would be about the minimum size for mixing the oscar and silver aro, and I wouldn't try it at all until you have a bigger tank.

Darthvader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
Thank you all for the advice. I will invest in larger predator tank and transfer the Aro to the 55g till large enough to transfer to new big tank.

Thank you for positive response.

Regards

Darthvader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
In normal circumstances with enough tank space etc. How long, in your opinion, will a Silver Arowana take to reach 15-17inch? As I have mentioned earlier, mine is now about 4-5 months old and is now 9-10inch long.

Regards

Rayshot1

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
California
are you measuring from head to end of tail or end of body before tail??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store