sand

HyPHyISM42o

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2010
where we have it for cheap
trying to go monster size and wondering whats the best sand to use.I think im over gravel. Tank inhabitants will be peacock bass, SD, FH, and sum bichirs. Im just trying to get some ideas for my next project. Thanks in advance.

altumz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
earf
pool filter sand is cheap. and depends on location. some are different colors. def get the tan color. the white is too white and doesnt look natural.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with the above, that there are many colors and grades of pool filter sand.
PFS is usually heavier than others, because in pool filters it is backwashed regularly.
I like to mix red flint color sand with light colors to get the kind of look I see while scuba diving.

wet

I get mine from a shop that supplies water filtration plants and industry with abrasives for a cost $6 for a 50 lb bag.
The photos below are from 3 different tanks, using a mixture of both colors of sand, the planted tank uses a bit more light color ratio sand.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I'm using lapis lustre monterrey beach blasting media, around $12/100# from white cap. More tan then pfs and heavily, will not use pfs again now that I found this.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
I am a huge fan of color quartz (3M is discountinueted but another company makes the stuff now and its just as good), so thats my suggestion. Not horribly expensive, sits well on the bottom and doesn't clog filters. Looks like sand and comes in different sizes and colors.

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
I am a huge fan of color quartz (3M is discountinueted but another company makes the stuff now and its just as good), so thats my suggestion. Not horribly expensive, sits well on the bottom and doesn't clog filters. Looks like sand and comes in different sizes and colors.
+1 have it in all my tanks.
uploadfromtaptalk1381009152315.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1381009289090.jpg
Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HyPHyISM42o

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2010
where we have it for cheap
Looks nice. Also I am thinking of taking the gravel out of my 180. Has anyone had any experience in changing out gravel to sand without emptying the tank completely? I know there has to be a way to do it. Any ideas and advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store