Aggression issues... from my Peacock?

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
I've got a 75g mixed african cichlid tank, with peacocks, haps, and mbuna... Lately I've been having an aggression/bullying issue from one of my peacocks (which I didn't expect).
The bully is probably about 4", either Eureka Red or Red Shoulder (coloration still in limbo it seems)
The main target is a 3.5" Dragon Blood peacock. It spends most of its time in the upper right corner of the tank next to the wavemaker...

I keep adding rock every time I drive up to the decent LFS, thinking changing the scape will confuse the bully. There are caves, rock to break up line of sight, and still this continues...

Any ideas short of removing fish? I don't have a QT tank right now, and i'd rather not get rid of either of those two, as they're two of my best looking fish...

I expected bullying to come from the Venustus, or mbunas, or bumble bee cichlid, not the peacock...

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
No clue. Maybe cuz you're on the dark side. Ditch the Africans ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
In my experience with peacocks and haps --- more caves equals more fighting. They become more territorial. So I took out all the caves. Aggression subsided.

I left some big rocks to break 'line of sight'. Chasing and aggression can hardly be eliminated.

I also had to take out when chasing gets to the point that the aggressor is chasing to kill. The fish doing the chasing is out of here.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
In my experience with peacocks and haps --- more caves equals more fighting. They become more territorial. So I took out all the caves. Aggression subsided.

I left some big rocks to break 'line of sight'. Chasing and aggression can hardly be eliminated.

I also had to take out when chasing gets to the point that the aggressor is chasing to kill. The fish doing the chasing is out of here.
Interesting... Most of the little nooks and caves are occupied by the smaller cichlids, but they don't seem scared... They don't run and hide from the large peacock every time they come out... He doesn't appear to be chasing to kill... He's liplocked quite a bit with my Venustus, his equal in size, and I think the big peacock won that one, but the Venustus doesn't run and hide from him either... Kind of a mutual respect I think...

I did have a nice OB Peacock almost as big as my blue one turn up dead a couple weeks ago, but since I don't know the cause... Saw it was having problems, mainly lying on the bottom or at an angle, so went out to buy some aquarium salt, and by the time I got back, he was gone, but no visible damage that he'd gotten beaten or bullied to death, and no "scared" behavior beforehand... He had some liplock matches with the big blue peacock a couple of weeks beforehand, but didn't seem to be running scared either...

The fish in front is my Livingstonii, the one in the back is the bully in question about 3 months ago... Need some newer pics... He's more blue now, red behind the gills, but a little bit of red starting to show on his body as well... Was sold as a Eureka Red, but think he could be a Red Shoulder possibly?
8708507919_657d433aaf_b.jpg

8708507919_657d433aaf_b.jpg

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Any ideas short of removing fish?
The truth is, not really. Once one male targets another or once two males target each other the outcome is usually one of them ends up dead. You're seeing the warning signs of what to a lot of people would be a mystery death or what they might think is a sudden case of bloat, because they miss the fact that when one male starts suddenly hanging in a corner it's most often because another is out to kill it.

What you're seeing is actually common with peacocks-- I kept and bred them for years. They can be far more aggressive than some people think, depending on the individual fish and on the situation in a tank. Two dominant males or two males looking to be dominant or a dominant male targeting another male it doesn't want in its space and one will almost inevitably kill the other at some point-- and when you see one hanging like that it's a warning that it's likely coming pretty soon. Lot of peacock deaths blamed on bloat actually start with stress from aggression, what people see is a fish that starts hanging in a corner, stops eating, eventually develops some of the symptoms of bloat (if it lives that long) and they don't make the connection to another belligerent male in the tank. (the major cause of bloat in peacocks is overfeeding or allowing an individual fish to overeat even if the tank as a whole isn't being overfed)

Peacock males vary widely in temperament, more so in some species than others, but you will occasionally get an individual that is psycho aggressive, it gets worse if there are females in the tank, but when you get one like that sometimes all you can do is move him to a tank with fish he can't bully.

Other possible solutions-- What will sometimes work is having a larger, more dominant fish to boss or police the tank. I've actually used green terrors like this in African tanks, have had big male GTs that kept order and would even break up fights between peacocks. Or if you have just the two males, you may do better with a number of male peacocks of same or similar species. But once on starts hanging in a corner your time and options are limited.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Just to clarify-- when I say above have 'a number of peacocks of same or similar species' I mean as opposed to having just two males that look similar to each other. Naturally, you can also have a mix of males of different species peacocks, but if you have two of a single species or two males that look similar (or sometimes two males, period) as opposed to several, there's more chance of aggression between them. Just their tendency, not a rule in every case, since it depends on the individual fish, tank setup, other fish in the tank, whether there are females in the mix, etc.

...When you see profiles of peacocks that say they're peaceful or 'mildly' aggressive this can be misleading. The reason is that aggression is relative and varies with a number of factors (not least of which is whether there are females in the tank), so an average peacock may be 'mildly' aggressive compared to some highly aggressive mbuna species, or mildly aggressive in a tank with more dominant fish, but this doesn't mean they aren't aggressive. Occasionally you can get an individual male psycho killer-- or might have one be very aggressive in a tank he can bully but not be so bad in a different tank.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
That's what confuses me, I have all male cichlids, 3 of them are blue-ish... This big Eureka Red (I'll go with that for ease of ID right now), mainly dark blue, a Blue Ahli, also mainly blue, and a Blue Dolphin Moorii. The only fish he targets right now is the Dragons Blood... the only orange fish in the tank. I have a yellow and white zebra he doesn't bother, venustus, livinstonii, another moorii (red and black, forget the species), a malawi eyebiter (compriseps?), bumble bee, small otter point jake (probably), and either a lemon or lemon jake (mainly yellow, no blue showing up yet) and another one or two I can't think of off the top of my head...

I'd expect more bullying towards fish of similar color, not completely different...

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Get a group of clown loaches !!

Strange, but the biggest clown in the tank --- around 5 inches, had taken the role of 'peacekeeper' in the tank.

In my 125 gallon tank, the tank boss is a 7 inch male Cyrtocara Blue Dolphin Moorii. He is a great tank boss as he is not mean, but no fish will challenge him in the tank ---- except the clown loach.

Now the sub-dominant Cyrtocara Blue Moorii is a psycho. He is a bit smaller than the dominant one. Late in the afternoon he will start chasing everyone in the tank except the King. He will chase them, but not really hurting them....kinda like a game for him.

But when the chasing gets to a point that most fish get agitated, the clown loach will start chasing this psycho Blue Dolphin. Loaches are great swimmers. This loach will go on the side of the Moorii and stick to him like a fly....to the point this will force the psycho Moorii to the corner. Then the loach will leave him alone, then relative peace comes back.

I recently took out a female Blue Dolphin. I really believe that this dolphin was a she-male....as she challenged every male peacock and haps in the tank. She was a real meany as she will chase the other Blue Dolphin female and hit them. That was when I said --- you are out of here.

Once I took her out, the fighting between the Blue Dolphin subsided a lot.

Oh yes, the clown loach will also put that meany she-male in her/his place once her/his fins turned all black from anger !!

Strange behavior from a loach...but i love it !!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store