Help with clams ( beginner alert ! )

siddhu_r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Sri-lanka
Okay guys well i've never had a pet before but i've always wanted an aquatic one so i know just a few tiny things but apart from that i hardly know anything about maintaining them . well , today i found a few clams getting washed up along the shore and i brought 4 of them home . All of them are from 2.5-3 cm long ( I will try to add a photo later on) . At first i had to put them into my water bottle while brought them home . i did put some sand along with the seawater and the burrowed into the sand . after i got home i transferred them to a jar . its not really that bit about 12cm deep and 7cm wide . I've got it filled with 6cm of sand , above the sand theres 4 cm of water and 1cm is just empty ( air ) .And at the start none of them moved at all . After several hours 2 of them burrowed into the sand . One of them is half burried but the other hasnt moved at all . I know if they open up completely they are dead but none have done that . Anyways , could anyone give me advice on how to maintain them ? i know its a big question but yah . Basically , what to feed ( i heard decomposing leaves can be used ) , how often to change the water , whether the sand has to be changed or not , if i change the sand or water then should i replace it with seawater and beach sand ? And any other info would be appreciated . I would also appreciate if u could identify the species , they were caught off the coast of the indian ocean in sri-lanka .

siddhu_r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Sri-lanka
Make sure you don't expose them to air n lots of water flow

Sent from my ADR6300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
air meaning moving air or just air ? so do u think i should put a lid on the jar ? and should i fill it up completely so that theres no air in the jar ?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
air meaning moving air or just air ? so do u think i should put a lid on the jar ? and should i fill it up completely so that theres no air in the jar ?

He means they need to be submerged and of course they need air like any fish/crustaceans... same thing as putting them in a fish tank.

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

siddhu_r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Sri-lanka
right okay , no probs with that . and all 4 finally started burrowing :D anyways , my other questions : should i be feeding them anything , how often should i change the water and sand and when i change them should they be replaced with seawater and beach sand ? and does anyone have any idea of the species ?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
right okay , no probs with that . and all 4 finally started burrowing :D anyways , my other questions : should i be feeding them anything , how often should i change the water and sand and when i change them should they be replaced with seawater and beach sand ? and does anyone have any idea of the species ?

Google bro. Idk any more.

×Go S Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 3x WDC!!!×

Cheap way to decrease nitrates and keep your fish healthy: http://monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504763

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
You don't need to replace the sand but you should take them out of the jar cuz clams like high indirect water flow. I have no idea what species it is though but they are filter feeders so you should feed them stuff like zooplankton and rotifers. The thing is though that those clams aren't photosynthetic so in order to keep them alive, they need a constant food supply which means your water will dirty up fast. That's why popular ones like flame scallops tend to not live very long in aquariums.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

siddhu_r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Sri-lanka
You don't need to replace the sand but you should take them out of the jar cuz clams like high indirect water flow. I have no idea what species it is though but they are filter feeders so you should feed them stuff like zooplankton and rotifers. The thing is though that those clams aren't photosynthetic so in order to keep them alive, they need a constant food supply which means your water will dirty up fast. That's why popular ones like flame scallops tend to not live very long in aquariums.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Okay , so if i take them out of the jar , how should i keep them ? And well , i dunno how iam going to get zooplankton or rotifers . are there any alternatives ? anything that can be home-made ? i hear stuff about feeding them rotting leaves but iam not too sure about how far that is true :-/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store