Skeletal reconstruction?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Does anyone ever do a skeletal recon of their dead fish? Id love to hear some good methods, did a search and nothing seemed to come up for this and there really isnt a forum to match so a i tossed it in general

Id love to save my poly skeletons so i can compare the different uppers together and lowers, plus it would just be a really nice way to preserve these fossil fish. Also plan on doing it to my BATF when it passes

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thrillbillie12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
Conneaut Lake PA
www.myspace.com
Do you have a taxidermest any where near you? I'm sure they could set you in the tight direction.

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

popss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2013
washinton
Do you have a taxidermest any where near you? I'm sure they could set you in the tight direction.

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
:ROFL:

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
There was a guy on here doing them, the polypterus ones looked amazing IIRC, maybe it was just the skull though?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
There was a guy on here doing them, the polypterus ones looked amazing IIRC, maybe it was just the skull though?
Hell i wouldnt mind just the skull, id imagine articulating fish bones would be hard haha

And about the taxidermist... i like to do things myself haha

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Necrocanis used to do this with his catfish. He's busy with school and doesn't post often anymore, though.

When my tigers die (hopefully when they're big), I intend to have them mounted. Full mounts though, museum quality. :thumbsup:

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I think i've read somewhere in the past people first put the body of the animal into a container full of maggots to clean off most the flesh for "x" amount of time....

Then from there it goes into a 2nd container filled with flesh eating beetles to clean off the last bits of flesh...

Last is i think to clean the bones before mounting them...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Maybe if you get less specific in your search you will find something. I burried deer heads and let nature do the rest. Took nearly a year.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
Maybe if you get less specific in your search you will find something. I burried deer heads and let nature do the rest. Took nearly a year.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I was going to say one of my friends owns a farm and does this stuff with the cows. He just leaves it is the sun. It just needs to be tied down, in a box or something like that nothing takes it. My hunter friends do the same thing. Burying in the dirt accomplishes the samething.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store